valdds

Reefing newb
We bought a house about 5 years ago that had a 110 ga saltwater fish only aquarium(plus hermit crabs). They left the fish and all equipment. None of it worked, including the lights. The previous owner did not believe in water changes and the water was so yellow/brown you could hardly see through it.

I don't know how the fish survived, but they did and I still have them. I know next to nothing, but I am trying.

I have 2 VHO fixtures with built in fans and moon lights. I have added live rock and some mushroom coral.
It has argonite for the substrate. It had an undergravel system but not anymore. I really don't know what I have now :(
I have a distiller for water changes.
I will be looking for help soon.

Hi and welcome! You're better off without the undergravel system. They are not suited for saltwater.

If you want to know what something is, just post a picture and we can ID it for you and tell you about it (equipment and animals).

Thank you to everyone for all the kond words. I will get to postin' some pictures soon.

Valerie

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum. Yikes you got yourself a situation it sounds like. Good luck and dont feel ashamed to ask any questions.

Well sounds like you are doing something right if the fish are still alive :) That's a start, and you came to the right place for help.

Does this tank have a sump?? Does it drain into something under the stand or behide it and then pump back up again.

I posted a photo today of my tank somewhere on this site. There is a box that appears to be adhered to the back of the aquarium. This box is divided into 5 chambers. The largest chamber had a pump and black mesh sourounding blue bonded filter pads. The pump is attached to a hose that pumps the water into the chiller and from the chiller directly into the aquarium.
The adjacent chamber is maybe an inch thick and cannot see anything in it.

Next to it, is a chamber with a white pipe sourrounded by more black mesh and blue filter pads.

Next to it is another chamber divided by two. I n one is a heater and tubing that goes through a slite to a plastic stick attached to a base that has like a piece of wood that bubles come up through.

Then a box fits over the log plastic stick. The tube is attached to an air pump I believe.

Here are photos of what I have.

Thank you all for your help.

Attachments

• IMG_0597 (Small).JPG
    IMG_0597 (Small).JPG
    28.5 KB · Views: 194
  • IMG_0598 (Small).JPG
    IMG_0598 (Small).JPG
    53.3 KB · Views: 191
  • IMG_0600 (Small).JPG
    IMG_0600 (Small).JPG
    53.1 KB · Views: 203
that setup is similar to what you see in the self contained nano systems
you could probably convert that whole setup into a simple overflow

is the tank drilled??

or does the water flow into and out of the box you have pictured???

I was able to fianlly figure out how to lift up the long plastic stick that is attached to the wood. I removed the wood. It was full of gunk. I placed an air stick (not wooden) Now there are more bubbles.

Water from the aquarium spills into the big black box through some slits near the top of the black box. Then there is a large clear tube that runs the water from the big black box to the chiller that sits outside on the floor and then directly into the aquarium.

What does it mean if the "tank is drilled ?"

a drilled tank means it has holes drilled into the bottom pane of glass so that it can let water go from the tank to a hidden away sump without having equipment hanging off the back of the tank

Back