Newby sump question

fishbait, is that a 10 gallon sump you have there? or is that bigger? I like that design... I should remake mine with a small fuge like that some time, get a new tank for 9.99 and spend another 10$ on materials...

dude, it's the same one that i posted in the second or third page of you're post to give you a few ideas off of.

Boy thats one complicated looking sump and fuge.I couldn't make heads or tails of it.If it works and works well,you might want to get it patented.

one thing to consider if you go with the sump plans. be sure to leave room to get the return pump in and out, by the looks of the drawing there's not much room. suffecient sized pumps tend to be quite bulky.

dude, it's the same one that i posted in the second or third page of you're post to give you a few ideas off of.

All do respect Fishbait but it is totally different, yours is side by side with the Fuge in the middle. My drawing has 2 levels and the fuge is on top next to the skimmer box.

You guys are right about space for the return pump. there is only a 4 inch gap between the fuge and skimmer compartments but I was thinking about making a hole in the side of the return chamber and running a pump inline and outside the sump, is that even possible?

Yeah i kinda thought so, sorry. I forgot about that one in designing a new one from scratch with some other help. I should have made my fuge smaller and have a second bubble trap before the pump, oh well once i stop messing with it for a few hours the bubbles go way down and aren't very bad at all. I think I finally figured out the balancing act between the pump and the overflow too...

Yeah, that sump looks incredibly confusing to me... the 2 compartments above, then the bubble traps? how is the water going to be flowing exactly?

I think I see now... are you going to have your overflow go half into the refuge half into the skimmer section, or any amount in between and then let it do its thing, once it gets too full it will drain out of plumbing and into the bottom section, I would have that plumbing go all the way down to the bottom to where the water wont have a cascading waterfall effect (for noise reasons, and excess water agitation) maybe get your pump figured out and make a few more bubble traps along the bottom? throw in a few more baffles before the pump and you shouldnt have a single bubble in your tank... I mean you have room judging by those dimensions. if its really 17 gallons? is 1'x1'x1' really a 12 gallon area for the skimmer and fuge areas? seems kinda small, mine is like 2 feet long and a foot tall and its only 10 gallons filled to the top...

hmmm, I think you are all too smart for me if you can figure out that drawing. Guess the DIY section is just not for me.

-Dr Marco :sfish:

Back