Newish to the hobby and need help

Shep

Reefing newb
Hello all,

Mine name is Tom, I just joined the forums and figured that it would be a great place to get help. I have had a two tanks for awhile now but have just gotten serious about getting my tanks looking great. Right now the main thing I am trying to do is get more "good" algae and stuff to grow on my live rock and keeping my water pristine. If anyone could give me so tips I would be forever indebted to you.

ps. I am having trouble finding a good affordable protein skimmer, what is a good brand?

Thanks!
-Tom

Welcome Tom! This is a great forum to be apart of. If you haven't yet make sure to introduce yourself under the introductory page. I'm new to the saltwater world, so can't give you any help on the algae thing. As far as the protein skimmer, I've read and seen the reef octopus makes a great product.

+1 on reef octopus. It's also recommended that you buy a skimmer listed as having the ability to be use on a tank 2x the size of yours.

Im using a eshoops protein skimmer and have had awesome results. If you want a "clean" tank, you may want to turn up w/c's and look at different ways of exporting nutrients too. Protein skimmers are only there to help between w/c's. Good luck!

Back