Nitrates and Brittle stars

sorry, I read that too fast and missed that you mentioned phosphates. I thought we were just talking nitrates still, and obviously most of us are above 1 for nitrates at least at times... I was just being a smart a$$

Some corals can stand up to 10ppm nitrates, some cannot stand more than 1ppm. Crabs and clams are definitely more sensitive to nitrates than fish but I've seen fish, like Mandarin Dragonettes, that stress at 15-20 nitrates ppm. Yes --if you have LPS and especially SPS 1ppm is too much.

"1+ bad"? 0.25 phosphates per million is bad.

I was thinking a maximum tolerance threshold for each creature. I think this info would be very useful.
It's actually a very good idea. There are quite a few things that prefer some nutrients in the water and it would be interesting to see where the points of intersection are on a chart or graph. It would probably shed more light on stocking compatibility.

I've heard that LPS are ok as long as they are below 20ppm. My nitrates have been stuck at about 10-15ppm for the last three months and my LPS are doing great. I also have mushrooms and zoanthids that are growing good.

I will get my nitrates down to zero eventually when my DSB starts to work and I get a light that will work better for my chaeto. I have one of those little florescent strip lights on it now. My chaeto is dying!

Back