Nitrates not going down

Twisted_blenny

Reefing newb
Ok so my 55g has been cycling for about 6 weeks now and all the levels are finally down to zero except for nitrates those stay steady at 20-40 any suggestions?

Have you started doing regular water changes? The only way to bring nitrates down (short of adding a refugium or using special media) is water changes. They do not go down on their own -- they just build up.

I did a 30% water change when ammonia and nitrites reached 0. A few days later I did another 30% water change. That brought nitrates down to about 10ppm....which is acceptable for fish.

I have still not managed to reach 0 but I could with a series of significant water changes. I do 4 gallon water changes every 5 days now and maintain a nitrate concentration of ~5ppm now. I am not keeping any corals yet, though.

Once my tank finished cycling, before I added fishies, I checked the tanks ability to rid itself of ammonia like this....

Once your ammonia level has gone to 0, nitrites are 0, and nitrates are up to 20-40 or so.....

Do a water change to get your nitrates to around 5.

Then introduce ammonia back in the tank as you did the first time.

Check the water in about 24-36 hours.

The bacteria, if they are doing their job, should have converted the ammonia rather quickly (Ammonia 0, Nitrites 0, Nitrates >10). This will serve as a "ready test" for your tank. The last thing you want is to "think" your tank is cycled, and it's really not. This will be the true test.

IF all is successful, and the ammonia was quickly converted, do another water change and go look for some fishies!

I will give you a head start, do some research on "Diatoms"..they will be next on your list of things you will want to know about. :o)

Enjoy, coolest hobby on the planet. Good luck!

Last edited:
Back