Nitrates still

You can buy your own TDS meter separately -- they only cost a few bucks. The in-line ones are nice and convenient, but it's fine to just check the TDS once in a while with a separate meter too.

Seller responded back and said it's not safe for drinking and linked me to one that could do both, but I just ended up ordering this one.

LOL, it's not safe for drinking, but that's what the description goes on and on about? :question: That one should be fine for aquarium use.

Just want to point out that it can take a long time to effectively reduce the nitrates. The rocks can absorb the excess nutrients then slowly leach them out when you do a water change back into the main tank. It can take mo the for them to get rid of these extra trates

Just want to point out that it can take a long time to effectively reduce the nitrates. The rocks can absorb the excess nutrients then slowly peach them out when you do a water change back into the main tank. It can take mo the for them to get rid of these extra trates

Leach. Not peach. ;) Although I do love soft, ripe, juicy peaches!! :^:

I know I'm coming a little late to this post...what do you mean we shouldn't be drinking our RODI water??!! I have the SpectraPure 4 stage RODI and have been drinking the water nonstop:shock:

RODI water will pull the minerals out of you blood stream and bones. It won't hurt you for a short time but long term consumption is bad. Most units have an RO only valve for drinking water.

RODI water will pull the minerals out of you blood stream and bones. It won't hurt you for a short time but long term consumption is bad. Most units have an RO only valve for drinking water.

Really? That doesn't sound good. I'm not sure if mine has an RO valve or not, I will have to check on that. Thanks.

I just did a 15 gallon H2O change this morning with water from my RO/DI I bought. They had shot up to 80 the past week, but I skipped last weeks change because I didn't want to buy more H2O when I knew RO/DI was coming. My results now, 20. I feel like I may be taking control of the battle now. Plan is 10% change every 3 days now until I get them down to 10 then I'll go back to weekly.

Sorry for the delay in posting. Been in the Bahamas for the last 9 days. Anyway, it sounds like you are an your way to fixing the problem. 10% every 7 days will be enough. Don't over change your water. That too can cause issues. Find a schedule and stick to it.

Back