nitrates

Droskie20

where's nemo?
any reasons y my nitrates would go up? I've been doing weekly water changes but I tested my water and my nitrates went from 0 to 20 did a 5 gallon water change yday and another 5 gallons today and still at 20-40 what gives?

Maybe your tank is still cycling. Try a few larger water changes and see if that helps. Hopefully someone else will chime in with more suggestions.

Any other information you could give on the tank (filter, tap water, sand bed depth, stock list etc...) there are so many things that could affect nitrates.

29 gallon tank used filtered tap water 2 months ago to start my tank, my tank cycled in 4 weeks I have a 2-3 inch live sand bed and about 35-40 pounds of live rock, I also have a h.o.b quietflow 30 filter, damsel fish to brake in my tank (not to cycle) I have a feather duster a few snails a few hermits and a couple frags

Last edited:
Filtered tap water?? Not RO?? The tank is pretty young yet, 20-40 is not too high but I would say continue with your weekly water changes things should begin to drop. Someone else may have some other ideas, there are quite a few posts about this in the forum, you may be able to gather some more information from.

10 to 1 that your nitrate problem is coming from that Quietflow.
About the only way you can keep those filters from causing a nitrate problem is to completely change the cartridge every week.The media in those cartridges trap and hold waste which breaks down inside the water column.That's where a good HOB skimmer really shines.
A good HOB skimmer and plenty of flow and good quality live rock are all it takes to filter a reef tank.

10 to 1 that your nitrate problem is coming from that Quietflow.
About the only way you can keep those filters from causing a nitrate problem is to completely change the cartridge every week.The media in those cartridges trap and hold waste which breaks down inside the water column.That's where a good HOB skimmer really shines.
A good HOB skimmer and plenty of flow and good quality live rock are all it takes to filter a reef tank.

that makes perfect sence! have any tips on where i should look for one? or any specific type i should look for?

that makes perfect sence! have any tips on where i should look for one? or any specific type i should look for?

Look on craigslist,ebay,any of the online reef suppliers,local fish store.
Any good HOB skimmer will work.Just make sure you get a good one.If the budget is fairly tight,look at the Corallife super skimmers.If you can afford to spend a little more,look toward the reef octopus HOB's.

Back