nitrite and nitrate question

beam3er

Reefing newb
Hello everyone,
I have a question, how can my nitrites be 0 ppm (mg/L) and my nitrates be around 40 ppm (mg/L) Does that make any sense? I have had my tank for close to a month now. Is this normal or harmful? Thank you in advance for any input.

Thats normal for a month in. The only way for you to bring nitrates down is through water changes and/or a refugium. You should be on the last leg of your cycle. 40 is high for corals (you shouldnt have any a month in) fish are usually ok with it.

Different types of bacteria use up different compounds. In our tanks, we usually have enough of the bacteria that use up nitrite that those levels stay at zero. The bacteria that use up nitrates are anaerobic, and it's harder for them to find environments they can survive in in our tanks, so nitrates tend to naturally rise unless we take care of them.

You want nitrites at zero -they are deadly to fish. Beneficial bacteria will keep them in check assuming you do not have a cycle going on. Nitrates are more of a struggle. I got nitrates from 40ppm to 20 by improving water flow and adding LR. I got them from 20 to 10 by using a skimmer, not overstocking and doing water changes. I got them from 10 to zero by adding a modest refugium with plenty of chaeto and a strong Refugium light.

Back