nitrites levels

andersoned14

Reefing newb
Wondering if copper treatment can affect the nitrites reading in a test kit? I tested water before I put any fish in and then add copper (this is in the QT) tested the water again and the nitrites are at 1. This is after having the fish in there for a week. Ammonia is still 0.

no it was up for at least 3 weeks and I use water from the other tank and a used filter. I also add food before the fish to see if it cycled. The levels always were at 0.

Tanks cycle wether or not there is LR. There is still a build up of bacteria that feeds on fish waste. Granted the surface area available is a lot less since there is no LR. The tank walls, and all the plumbing will have bacteria grow on them.

Oh yes.. I dreaded the day I had to add copper to my system.. :( As I knew it would kill off the 'good bacteria'.. then, any fish I had that wasn't sick, would soon get sick as I watched the ammonia and nitrite levels rise. Ah, the reasons for a hospital tank.. where you don't care about bacteria.. and can just replace water like mad.. :frustrat:

Back