No corals, what do I need?

Your phosphates are too high. Accordiing to Dr Ron Shimek, leading expert on inverts, corals start getting sick at 0.25 PPM and that is pretty much one you got.

Thanks folks! Going to give it a shot. I have two plateaus that will work great and should look really good covered in something. I was hoping the Coraline algae would do it, a I guess it would given time. I have some purple and light green spreading already. I actually thought one of my shells had green slime on it until I tried to scrape it off. Its pretty hard and upon a closer look, appears to be the Coraline.

Is there a special name for the Zoas? The ones I'm looking at have a red to rust coloured center with a green "circle" around them. About 15 centers (heads?) per frag.

Those sound like 'Eagle Eye' zoanthids to me. $15 for a frag with 15 heads is a pretty good price IMO, that's only a $1 a head. I'd so go for it and see how they do. While I'd agree with sen about your phosphates being too high for some SPS, I would NOT be concerened about .25 ppm of PO4 with zoanthids

Go pick out the frag, and come back with photos!

Your phosphates are too high. Accordiing to Dr Ron Shimek, leading expert on inverts, corals start getting sick at 0.25 PPM and that is pretty much one you got.

If his LFS is anything like most local fish stores, there is at least this much phosphate in the system water, probably more. I'm sure zoanthids will be fine with some phosphates in the water. It's not like they're demanding SPS corals

Back