no diatoms or anything??

ReefWannabe

Reefing newb
Ok so I posted my last ests in another thread. I read the packets that came with my kit, and it says after convertng the nitrites my nitrates are actually at 0... I never got any diatom bloom, or any other algae outbreak. I turn my lights on for like an hour a day every 3 days or so just to see inside the tank. Should I still add a cleanup crew or jut wait and start with fish or coral?

I think since you were seldomly running the lighting you ecscaped the dreaded new tank ditoms.It still might happen anyway.You can add some clean-up crew if you eant I would just added a small amount of snails for now. I have had good result with these snails(ILLNASSARIUS OBSOLETA)they keep my sand bed well stired and clean the glass well also.For the rocks turbos work well.I get the ILLNASSARIUS OBSOLETA cheap on ebay from the same seller when needed.I have a murdering blood shrimp that likes the taste of them.I am moving soon so when I brake down my tank it will become LFS credit.
http://cgi.ebay.com/20-ILLNASSARIUS...ryZ66788QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

If you add animals make sure your system has a food source for them otherwise they will not survive long. normally you can ramp up your light system and watch you tank. if algae start or diatoms add snails of several kinds. the cerths are good for diatoms, the others for algae. good luck.

yeah ive decided on my first fish. And I want to be sure theres sufficient stuff for him. Im getting a damsel or chromis, or w/e my cousin decides he wants. its my present to him. Ill keep him for about a month as quarantine for his system since mine is fishless. Once he is deemed safe and healthy we are transering him to his tank.
During this process im getting 10 each of,
cerith
astrea
nassarius
and later on a few turbos and more of each depending whats needed.

After his fish is gone and my snails are doing their job, im getting a baby kole tang!!! Ive read on their reef behavior, their feeding, and foods. Hopefully he'll enjoy my system.

Damsels are a pain to get out after they have established themselves in a tank.You might have to brake down and remove some rock to get it out.

Back