No idea about Coral

bcool22

Fishy McFish's alot
Ok I have no idea about anything people talk about with coral.

So if there is a really really really nice person who knows alot about them. Can you give me an idea of what each type of abbreviation of these are. As well as give me a break down of recommendations for a 42 gallon tank and anything really important I should know about care and other things pertaining to making it successful.

Thanks..

Which abbreviations are you refering to? Lots of them. As for what can I put in a 42....depends on what equipment you're running,lights,filtration,etc. What is it you want to do with the tank? A little research goes a long way. Patients is just as important as research.

Well frankly like spc and all those used in this forum my tank is in the tank display section sorry I am on my phone so I can't link it just look up brandons 42 gallon project

SPS : Small polyp stony coral
LPS: Large polyp stony coral

not a real taxonomical classification but useful for us hobbyists, generally LPS are easier to keep and more forgiving than SPS

What kind of lights and filtration do you have? How old is this tank? What other livestock do you have in your tank currently?

it just finished it's first cycle. I have 1 set of LED Marine Fusion 14k Diamond and Blue lights. I have a Fluval G6 filter system. and I have 2 Clown fish and 3 Engineer goby's and a few Asetera Snails.

First of all you need to slow down and do a lot of research. Your tank has just finished it's cycle and you already have 5 fish in it. You have reached your max on adding fish and they have been added to quickly. Patience is your best friend. For your sake and the sake of your livestock please start researching before you add anything else to your tank.

First of all you need to slow down and do a lot of research. Your tank has just finished it's cycle and you already have 5 fish in it. You have reached your max on adding fish and they have been added to quickly. Patience is your best friend. For your sake and the sake of your livestock please start researching before you add anything else to your tank.

If I remember correctly it was because they were transfers from another tank he had. But I could be remembering it wrong.

yes they where transferred from a smaller tank into a Bigger tank. I know there are to many fish but I dont have the heart to just let one die or give it back. So I just have to deal with them for now. Most of the stuff I have is transferred from a different tank hense why it is only a week old and already cycled once. The fish are still in my other tank at this moment until I feel the time is right to add them. I am doing my research to prepare for what I want to get. I don't intend on getting anything until it is ready and time.

those engineer goby's are a pain.. I had one and had to get rid of it because of the mess they make.. they get up to around 12 inches ( which mine reached quickly) and burrow burrow and burrow, I had sand flying around my tank most often.. As far as corals I would go with a few softies to get your feet wet, maybe a couple mushrooms and zoas, see how they go then jump into others..

Ok with that being said I am not a big fan of the goby's they are actually really annoying. and you never see them and they have gotten pretty big too. So what do you recommend me to do with them?

well I took mine to an LFS they always like free stuff, figured it was only a few dollars when I got it would rather have it out of my tank then worry about the money..:D

Back