Noises

Doyle73

Reefing newb
I have my tank all set up I got some more live rock from the lfs a couple weeks ago, and I don't know if the noise started from when i put this rock in of has been there since i first started adding live rock. But there is this noise like a click every once in a while kinda only notice it when i am in bed, but I thought it was one of my fish up at the top of the water making like a suction noise. but when i hear the noise i go and check and they are not even near the top. Any Ideas?

I vote mantis. Try to look at your tank at night if you have moonlights or get a red light to look at your tank when its dark. You definitely want to get rid of it if its a mantis.

Do you have any snails?
Could also be snail shells knocking the glass as they graze (either on the glass or on the sandbed).

Good luck....hope it's not a mantis.

Thanks, praying its not a mantis. Going on a hunt tonight. I have been looking the past couple days but I am going to stand guard tonight. Probably won't see anything,but sure will hear it. I read a trigger may help, I have one think it will or not?

Some triggers will tackle a mantis,some wont.The larger not-reef safe wrasses will gladly make a meal out of a mantis.
I'm betting that rock came from Bermuda?
If I can ever catch my mantis,I'm gonna take him back in there and slip it into the rock sump:mrgreen:

You definitely need to try and determine which rock it's in. I'm betting it's a mantis too, those are much more common to get as hitch hikers than pistol shrimp. Until you determine what it is, do not handle your rocks with your bare hands. Use tongs and gloves. Mantis shrimp will very easily slice your finger open.

It may take a while to isolate the animal, but in the meantime, if you start noticing snails, crabs and fish disappearing, it's likely you have a mantis, as they will eat anything they can catch and are great predators.

Back