Noob aquarist with a 55 gallon tank.

So, I realize what seeding is, my question was whether one type of rock was better than another, but I found one of my local LFS's had a sale on LR that was almost as cheap as BR, so I went for more LR so I wouldn't have to wait for it to be useful. The decorations were more to give the fish (and yes, I know put in too early) places to hide as I was increasing the LR. I am down to just a couple of decorations that they are particular found of now that I have increased the LR to about 50lbs. I do intend to add some more rock soon. For water I used packaged "real" saltwater from a local Petco. I checked the levels when it went in and they were fine. For lighting I am using the LED's on the hood that came with the tank, though I realize before really getting into coral I will need something stronger. As for the Bristleworms, I read they can be advantageous, but also read it was debatable, and decided better safe than sorry. But I am not going crazy looking and eradicating, I figure if a couple are alluding me then so be it...

Sorry for being a debbie downer, but if you dont pull the corals because of lack of lighting, they will die. This will set off a fun clean up time for you and death for your fish.

Everything I have read has said the coral I have in there is hardy and doesn't require significant lighting. It was why I thought I would give it an early try. I guess this is another case of conflicting info that I mentioned earlier...

If your bioload is so high with nothing to absorb in to the tank, it will be a bad end result, ie over amount of fish, to little lr, and a canister filter with non "significant" lighting. But if the lfs tells me its ok, then im good to go. Im trying to help this guy because i do care for the hobby and the love for the fish. Just saying its ok and "usually" doesnt help him in a month. When i first posted, it was 6 months before anything, having five fish and adding lr 2x more than whats in there is a big risk. It is not my tank nor i shouldnt care, but the truth is what he needs to hear, not sugar coating anything. Im going on 8 months with 220lbs of lr, deep sand bed mangrovec, cheato, and a total capacity of 300g, i have 5 fish, this didnt happen in a month. Good luck my friend, im unsubcribing to this one.

I checked with my LFS for him, most of his fish are hardy enough to survive a normal cycle(the dottyback was the only one my guy said he would worry about). So, everything should be all right. Just don't put a anemone in there yet lol. When they die they release like a toxin that will nuke your tank. Bad news :p

Also, when it comes to Rocks in your tank Mike, think Caves/Arches for fish to swim through and hide in. And flat/shelves for corals to be placed securely. Also, we like pictures, so keep us updated with full tank shots of your progress :)!

And go nuts with hermits, they don't add to your bioload and are great for clean up. In my 55 I have about 40-50 diff hermits and in my 10 I have like 20ish. They add movement in the tank and clean it up pretty nice :p. Also, dunno how much you paid for the Skunks, but Peppermint Shrimp are usually like 7-10$ a piece and do roughly the same thing (In case you'd like to save some money :p)

And lastly, if you're looking for a pretty fish that's active, think about either a Flame Angel or a Coral Beauty. They would do well in a 55 as opposed to a Tang.

Last edited:
I checked with my LFS for him, most of his fish are hardy enough to survive a normal cycle(the dottyback was the only one my guy said he would worry about). So, everything should be all right. Just don't put a anemone in there yet lol. When they die they release like a toxin that will nuke your tank. Bad news :p

Bad info, anenomes do not "nuke" your tank when they die. If they go thru your powerhead, because they are moving because the arent happy, yes they will cause a serious issue.

Personally I would rather have less hermits. Snails can clean the algae off the glass, rocks, and sand. The hermit crabs can be pretty annoying. They will kill/eat your snails, and they can bother your corals by climbing all over them and stealing their food. It's good to have hermits, just don't add too much. If you really want a lot of hermits you have to make sure to provide them with plenty of extra shells otherwise they will go around killing your snails for their shells.

Bad info, anenomes do not "nuke" your tank when they die. If they go thru your powerhead, because they are moving because the arent happy, yes they will cause a serious issue.

And as they are dieing they will release large amounts of ammonia. Either way, slow death/chopped up by a power head = bad news for any sensitive fish.

Thanks for the snail/hermit advice guys, I was wondering about the hermit and snail bioload, wasn't sure if I should wait. And Anthony, I appreciate the feedback on the info you got from you LFS, not sure I completely trust any of mine. Small state, few LFS's, and since not one has really questioned my tactic or progress with any passion or advice contrary to what I have done, I think they are mostly in it for the money they can get from me. As for the rocks, I have actually had a little creative fun with the added rock, doing just what you were suggesting... I already have a spot picked out to create the next LR creation...the attached pic shows about 25 to 30 lbs of my LR with the very caves and arches you mentioned in mind.

Attachments

• MoreLR.jpg
    MoreLR.jpg
    202.8 KB · Views: 252
Personally I would rather have less hermits. Snails can clean the algae off the glass, rocks, and sand. The hermit crabs can be pretty annoying. They will kill/eat your snails, and they can bother your corals by climbing all over them and stealing their food. It's good to have hermits, just don't add too much. If you really want a lot of hermits you have to make sure to provide them with plenty of extra shells otherwise they will go around killing your snails for their shells.

That's true, but when I pick up hermits, I grab a bunch of different shells and throw them in the tank at the same time. So, I have a bunch of loose shells sitting on the sand bed for them, haven't really had any snails go missing. Guess it just comes down to what you like lol

Thanks for the snail/hermit advice guys, I was wondering about the hermit and snail bioload, wasn't sure if I should wait. And Anthony, I appreciate the feedback on the info you got from you LFS, not sure I completely trust any of mine. Small state, few LFS's, and since not one has really questioned my tactic or progress with any passion or advice contrary to what I have done, I think they are mostly in it for the money they can get from me. As for the rocks, I have actually had a little creative fun with the added rock, doing just what you were suggesting... I already have a spot picked out to create the next LR creation...the attached pic shows about 25 to 30 lbs of my LR with the very caves and arches you mentioned in mind.

Looks nice :p. And np, I used Damsels to cycle my tank too. They are cheap fish (as far as saltwater goes :P). Then I returned em once the cycle ended and put two clowns in haha. I like the aquascaping, for the next set, you should do some shelves/flat pieces for corals. Also, if you're looking for good lighting, on e-bay there are some 6 bulb t5 HO fixtures that sell for roughly 200$ that would work pretty well for most corals. If you want a link let me know, I can get it for you :)

Also, that rock looks like it's up against the glass. If it is, you might wanna move it over a inch or so, otherwise cleaning the glass over there will be a pain in the ass lol.

Looks nice :p. And np, I used Damsels to cycle my tank too. They are cheap fish (as far as saltwater goes :P). Then I returned em once the cycle ended and put two clowns in haha. I like the aquascaping, for the next set, you should do some shelves/flat pieces for corals. Also, if you're looking for good lighting, on e-bay there are some 6 bulb t5 HO fixtures that sell for roughly 200$ that would work pretty well for most corals. If you want a link let me know, I can get it for you :)

Also, that rock looks like it's up against the glass. If it is, you might wanna move it over a inch or so, otherwise cleaning the glass over there will be a pain in the ass lol.

Cycling a tank with live animals is cruel and completely unnecessary.

It also needs to be noted that every (EVERY) LFS is a business first. Do you own research (outside of asking the employees) and take what they tell you with a grain of salt.

It was what I had been told at the time to do. Didn't know anything about the forums and at the time my LFS was the only one giving me advice. So, at the time, I didn't know better. Since then I've learned you can use LR and even some dead shrimp. Also, I brought the damsels and chromis back to the LFS.

Cycling a tank with live animals is cruel and completely unnecessary.

It also needs to be noted that every (EVERY) LFS is a business first. Do you own research (outside of asking the employees) and take what they tell you with a grain of salt.

That was my point, that as a business first, I do not feel I can trust my local LFS, and with the false information I have received from them, that lack of trust was proven. As for "owning research"? I do not "own" the internet or library so no, have I USED research, yes, but, as I have said at least once, for every bit of information there is a contrary opinion.

As for cycling a tank with live animals being cruel, it was never my intention to do harm to these creatures. I accept my ignorance to this NEW hobby I have taken on, but there was no malicious intent...as opposed to some of you here, and this time I will finally lash back! Mario, Erin, are you that perfect? You NEVER made a mistake when you began this hobby, I mean I know it has been ages that you have been doing this Mario (that's sarcasm by the way) so feel free to continue to enlighten me. Folks I'm not looking for sugar coating, or all positive feedback, but if you are going to say something in a forum meant to assist others, make it constructive. How exactly does accusing me of being a fish killer, or asking me if I own research help me? It doesn't, it just makes you more full of yourself.

I am doing everything in my power to right the wrong I have done to these creatures, both in time and money. It would be easier to just give up, let them die, and start a 55 gallon fresh water tank. I'd be out the price of the fish, sand and LR. Instead I spent more money and time to increase the chances that these fish will survive. So please feel free to tell me what I'm doing wrong, but if you are, then follow it up with what I can do to right it like others on this thread have.

Back