Noob ... is this good to start with?

I found saltwater is more expensive in the beginning, but once established, the cost goes down significantly. Everyone's got you covered here, especially about the canister filter and skimmer. I use tropic marin, and love it.

I suggest you get the biggest tank you can afford and fit in your house. Judging by your enthusiasm, you'll want to upgrade later when you start seeing all the fish and corals at the lfs :) I started off with a 45g, content with it, until I started stocking it, and realized I wanted more. a year later, I've upgraded to a 125g LOL

Ask away! You will always get a response here!

I already know that it's going to be way smaller than I'd like but, it's my first one so I don't want to go too overboard. And also I need to consider space restrictions, I live in a house with 2 roommates and I already have 3 fish tanks all over the house. I mean, if I had the money and space I'd definitely get a 300g tank and start there ... someday though :x:

Ok, so I've been looking at my list and trying to figure out what I can make into a DIY project to try and save some money (just got done adding up the prices on my list and had a mild heart attack, I expected to drop a lot of money into the hobby but probably not this much :shock:). Anyway, I'm going to DIY my sump using a 20g tank (not totally sure on this size yet, I'll be making the cabinet for my tank myself so I'm going to get the biggest tank I can fit into that space but right now I'm planning on 20g). But, I was looking at the overflow box that I had on my list and my question is, do I only need one of these if my tank isn't drilled for SW? Because if that's the case, I might just try and drill my tank and save a 100ish dollars.
Also, because of space restrictions I think I've settled on a 46g bow front. I had almost talked myself into starting off with a 75g so I could have a larger more diverse fish population but, unfortunately space restrictions prohibit it in my bedroom. I've found a 36" T5 light that puts out 156W, that should be sufficient for my tank correct?

I'm still reading the 2 books I have and reading forums/articles on the net, until I finish that I'll maybe only buy the tank for now. But before I start handing all of my money to the LFS I'll probably post my final list of equipment so I can run it by all of you one more time and get your advice. I'm sorry for all of the long posts but, thank you all for reading them and helping a future marine addict :Cheers:
Brian

Yes, the overflow is only if you don't have it predrilled. My 45g wasn't predrilled, so I had the annoying bulky overflow w/ the utube that kept getting a bubble in it. I prefer predrilled (as with my 125). If you're comfortable drilling the hole, go for it. Otherwise the expense you waste on a ruined tank kind offsets having someone else do it ;)

My LFS would do it for $50. But I think a few livingreefers here have done it successfully on the first try. Keep us posted and post pics of your progress!

Unfortunately, I think the closest LFS (non-petsmart) is like 200-250 miles from me. I think the price of gas, actually offsets the price of possibly ruining a tank, for me anyway. I know I was reading in the tank builds section of someone who fairly recently drilled his tank, I just can't find the thread right now. He said that he basically found all the info he needed online.

There are a couple of places that do residential installs, I'll have to call them this week and find out if maybe they can drill holes in-house for me.
PS Biff, I read your 90g downgrade today and ever since it's been making me want mine more and more just looking at your setup.

Thanks! I haven't even really gotten started on that tank. I still need lights for it! But once I get lights -- it'll be go time!

After mentioned the closest LFS is over 200 miles away I am not sure how popular Craigslist is there, but you can normally find GREAT deals on tanks, LR, equipment from people getting out of the hobby and such. Could probably find a reef ready drilled tank in your size range.

Unfortunately, I think the lack of LFS around here has people acting crazy on craigslist here. One guy is asking $60 for a used 10g tank with a heater/small filter and no hood/lights ... madness ... I just need to move somewhere where there's a good LFS down the street so I can make sure he has a secure retirement plan.

Well if they ever get this back in stock it looks like it could save some money. They have the bigger one but would be to big for what you are thinking. http://shop.aquatraders.com/Continuous-Siphon-Overflow-Box-600-p/44011.htm The other option that i have looked into is here http://www.glass-holes.com/Complete-Overflow-Kits_c3.htm if I drill my own tank this is where I will get my stuff from prices arent so bad considering its everything you need, Oh there is a video of how to drill your tank its a little corney but it gets the point across.

Last edited:
Back