Nova Extreme SLR T-5 Fixtures

ltkenbo

Reefing newb
Ok so with my 55 gallon I currently have two 2 x 39 Watts (36") sunlight supply fixtures which as you can imagine since they aren't long enough is not nearly enough light for my tank if I'm planning on getting a significant amount of coral. I couldn't pass up $50 for both from the guy I bought my live rock from though, they work fine just not enough by themselves obviously.

Anyways Christmas is coming up and I was asking for the 4 bulb 48 inch fixture of the nova extreme slr t-5:
Aquarium Lighting for Freshwater and Reef Systems: Nova Extreme Compact SLR T-5 Fixtures

I would also be able to use at least one of my 36 inch fixtures along with this new fixture giving me 294 watts of light.

Anyone used thse before, and what did you think. I plant to eventually have a wide variety of corals.

Yeah that's what I figured, and looking at the fixture I'm pretty sure I could make some brackets that way I could hood mount it rather than standing it on the tank. But has anyone heard anything about them or had any experience. I've seen good reviews but one forum I read a thread about someone who was planning to get them and some people said they didn't think they were that great. The next alternative, but more expensive is the Nova Extreme Pro, which is like $150 more but has 2 more bulbs:
Aquarium Lighting for Reef Systems: Current Nova Extreme Pro Saltwater T-5 Fixtures which if I got that I wouldn't hood mount it plus it's very nice looking.

Some people on that same forum said something about the bulbs that came with the fixture (SLR one) not being that good. Is this true?

Back