Number of fish in 75 gallon

sprky86

Reefing newb
I know that the basic rule is 1in for every 10 gallons, but that just seems so little. One tang would be it following those rules. Eventually I want to get a couple clownfish, either a blue or yellow tang, and some other fish. They only big one would be the tang. I will get a small tang since its cheaper, but since it will grow at some point, with a full size tang, how many other smaller fish can I have in the 75 gallon tank?

Most tangs will need a larger tank than a 75. Check LiveAquaria.com for the requirements of different species. The rule is closer to one fish per ten gallons, especially because you wont be able to house any large fish anyway. You could keep at least 7 fish, more after the tank is established if you aren't having nutrient problems. A pair of clowns is a great option. Wrasse are a very cool fish you might look into as well.

Yea, some sites say 75 gallon for minimum tank size for the blue or yellow tangs, and some say 120 gallon, so i wasn't really sure about that. I am very picky about the fish that I like, and those, and 1 or 2 butterflies are the only ones that I really like. At least ones that could possibly fit in a 75 gallon. The 2 clownfish are the first ones that I am going to be getting, once the tank is done cycling. really the only fish that I have liked the looks of are lawnmower blenny, a couple clownfish, a dwarf angelfish, and then the couple big ones I mentioned. I like a couple others, but they are aggressive and or poisonous. And with this being the first saltwater tank I want it to go smoothly for right now.

People may disagree, but I find the thought of just a single fish (tang, for example) being adequate for a 75g tank alone and nothing more absolute nonsense. If we go by things like that, that's three tangs for a 225g tank which would be downright ridiculous.

I have a pond which I have Koi in which supposedly require 1000g per Koi according to some 'experts' because of the size they can potentially grow up to, but the fact of the matter is, no one in there right mind gets a singular Koi for a 1000g pond, and in aquariums, it's the same. Sure, there is a limit, but I think there's a lot of ridiculously drastic people out there who have the thought that these fish really need that's sort of space on their own. If it was really the case, no one would be in this hobby because no one can afford to get a tank covering their entire walls with 5 tangs alone. It's just not a viable hobby if we're going to be absolutely correct with the specifications of each fish. Even on LiveAquaria, a Koran Angelfish is written down for a minimum tank size of 250g! Yes, a fish that would become no more than 3" according to them needs a tank of that size. I don't know anyone who has a single angelfish in a 250g tank.

That 'basic rule' in my opinion, has always been absolute rubbish. You should always consider the space they need, but you definitely have the ability to have more live stock than what a lot of people would say.

Definitely another tang, a couple of clowns if you wanted and then see from there whether your fish and how your tank handles the capacity, which I doubt would be a problem anyway.

Sorry about the above, I just felt like this was a chance to get out my thoughts on these 'basic rules'.

Its fine, I totally understand. Fish need the space, but some of the sites say they need a lot. I know in the ocean the fish live pretty close to each other at times. Right now there is nothing in the tank except the live rock and some small coral. I just wanted to ask about what others think about the topic.

For size requirements I would go to liveaquaria.com. I find that site to be one of the best for them.

Tangs are aggressive and big poopers they need lots of space. You could probably get a kole tang for a 75 gallon though.

When I move out of this apartment and into a house I hope to be able to get a 200 gallon tank so I can get the fish I want :)

People may disagree, but I find the thought of just a single fish (tang, for example) being adequate for a 75g tank alone and nothing more absolute nonsense. If we go by things like that, that's three tangs for a 225g tank which would be downright ridiculous.

I have a pond which I have Koi in which supposedly require 1000g per Koi according to some 'experts' because of the size they can potentially grow up to, but the fact of the matter is, no one in there right mind gets a singular Koi for a 1000g pond, and in aquariums, it's the same. Sure, there is a limit, but I think there's a lot of ridiculously drastic people out there who have the thought that these fish really need that's sort of space on their own. If it was really the case, no one would be in this hobby because no one can afford to get a tank covering their entire walls with 5 tangs alone. It's just not a viable hobby if we're going to be absolutely correct with the specifications of each fish. Even on LiveAquaria, a Koran Angelfish is written down for a minimum tank size of 250g! Yes, a fish that would become no more than 3" according to them needs a tank of that size. I don't know anyone who has a single angelfish in a 250g tank.

That 'basic rule' in my opinion, has always been absolute rubbish. You should always consider the space they need, but you definitely have the ability to have more live stock than what a lot of people would say.

Definitely another tang, a couple of clowns if you wanted and then see from there whether your fish and how your tank handles the capacity, which I doubt would be a problem anyway.

Sorry about the above, I just felt like this was a chance to get out my thoughts on these 'basic rules'.

When they say a fish requires that much space it takes several things into consideration. Most tangs need several feet of horizontal swimming room. Others, such as some angels will get extremely aggressive in a smaller tank. Neither a yellow or a blue tang will be happy and healthy long term in a 75 gallon aquarium. Im sorry :(

The tank size requirement does not mean that's the only fish that can go in there either. The one fish per ten gallons still applies.

Also, the Koran angel fish gets WAY bigger than 3 inches. They get to be over a foot and like all angels, they are pretty sensitive, so they need the large tank.

I completely agree. This hobby attracts "Know It Alls" and alot of them are dramatic. I also get tired of hearing people talk in absolutes like they know what some fish with a brain the size of a grain of sand is feeling. Growing up we had a Blue Tang, Clown, Flame Angel, Huma Huma, and another baby trigger in a 35 gallon tank. They did fine for like 2 years until my stepdad sold the tank when he had to move. I am not saying it was the best environment for the fish but lets not be dramatic, they are freaking fish for gods sake. In my opinion a Yellow Tang is fine is a 75g tank, and a Blue Tang will be fine for a long time until he gets to his maximum size. A 100g+ is probably ideal for the Blue but these websites that recommend like 200g for these tangs are high off their ass. Might as well just let it live in the ocean. But what do I know.

The database on this forum says a yellow tang can be in a 75 gallon tank. I have a yellow and a kole tang in my 90. My yellow is quite large like 5" and the kole is 3" or so. I also think it makes a difference in how your aquascape is set up. I have no rocks leaning on my back glass and many areas for them to swim through as well as lots of hiding places. My parameters have been good and other than the few initial dominance issues everything is getting along great. I also think it depends on if you have a good skimmer, run reactors, water changes, don't overfeed etc.

This is my opinion and experience, but many people on here have much more than I do. The biggest lesson I have learned is that slow is fast in this hobby. It is very expensive when you go to fast and have fish dying.

Some people value the lives of their pets and want to provide the best home possible for them. Just like Im not going to buy a dog and confine it to live in a four foot crate it's whole life, I will not buy a fish with specific needs that I cannot meet. Is that dramatic? Not in my opinion. Not only do I love my pets, furry or wet, I want them to be as happy as possible. I must be high off my ass....

Some people value the lives of their pets and want to provide the best home possible for them. Just like Im not going to buy a dog and confine it to live in a four foot crate it's whole life, I will not buy a fish with specific needs that I cannot meet. Is that dramatic? Not in my opinion. Not only do I love my pets, furry or wet, I want them to be as happy as possible. I must be high off my ass....

absolutely agree

I like to think of fish as dogs being kept in apartments that cannot be taken out for a walk. So if you have a very small apartment, people are going to recommend you get a small dog like a papillon, which are much like the clownfish of the dog world. They will do well in pretty much any situation. People are going to strongly suggest that you don't get an greyhound, which are going to be tangs of the dog world. Each will fit in the tiny apartment, but only one is going to thrive.

Big difference in a fish surviving in a small tank for 2 years as opposed to a fish thriving in a big tank. Do we know what the fish is thinking? Of course not. But I do know that I've watched a tang swimming around in a 45g at top speed only to bump into the other end of the tank over and over because it's natural tendency is to swim a long horizontal space.

Even in freshwater, take a zebra danio....small fish, but they're super active. You should not put them in small 10g tanks, even if they're alone, because they're horizontal swimmers. Has nothing to do with "what a fish is feeling or thinking"...it has to do with the way they naturally swim.

Frefish can get up to 3", but yet they're ok in 10g...you know why? Cuz the little boogers swim up and down above their cave, rarely venturing out in the open.

So before accusing people of saying that we're trying to be fishy mind readers, watch your fish sometime...some need the horizontal swimming space, others don't.

I'd like the correct the original question. Basic rule of thumb is not one inch every ten gallons (I assume this comes from a freshwater mixup where basic community rules are one inch : one gallon).

Basic stocking rule is one SMALL fish per ten gallons.

And mega +1 to wonton.

And RollTide needs to calm the eff down. Having fish survive terrible (and yes, there is no doubt in my mind that they were terrible) conditions isn't the same as having happy fish.

+1 Wonton
I watch my clownfish in my 90 and they stay pretty much in the middle of tank. On the other hand, my tangs and coral beauty swim in and out of rock work, down the back of the tank, and around the front. Different fish have different behaviors and therefore different needs.

I like to watch you tube videos of different fish and their behaviors. I usually mute the video because people put some strange music with them sometimes.

I completely agree. This hobby attracts "Know It Alls" and alot of them are dramatic. I also get tired of hearing people talk in absolutes like they know what some fish with a brain the size of a grain of sand is feeling. Growing up we had a Blue Tang, Clown, Flame Angel, Huma Huma, and another baby trigger in a 35 gallon tank. They did fine for like 2 years until my stepdad sold the tank when he had to move. I am not saying it was the best environment for the fish but lets not be dramatic, they are freaking fish for gods sake. In my opinion a Yellow Tang is fine is a 75g tank, and a Blue Tang will be fine for a long time until he gets to his maximum size. A 100g+ is probably ideal for the Blue but these websites that recommend like 200g for these tangs are high off their ass. Might as well just let it live in the ocean. But what do I know.

Maybie you should watch "planet of the apes" sometime... might learn something...

little fish, any way the database for the yellow tang requirements can be updated? Actually, it looks like a lot of the tangs need updates. :D

Last edited:
Back