Ny Nass snails are attacking my new dwarf feather duster!!

chichimom79

reef junkie
I am flipping out! I apparantly bought a $12 snack for my Nass snails because they all attacked the feather duster. I moved them away from it and moved the worm to the top part of a rock, but I know if I go back in there, they will be on it again, and I think it is too late anyway. One of them had his snail tube all the way down into the feather duster tube.... :( I am so bummed. :(

Wish I knew nass snails had a taste for feather duster.

Come to think of it, I've seen less bristles too.... Do Nass snails have a taste for all kinds of worms??

Last edited:
Wow, sorry to hear that...they must have smelled the feather duster was dying, which is why they they're going after it.

Well, two of the nass snails look different from the other three, but I have found pics of both under nassarius. The two darker ones could be questionable. I think I will be taking back at least the two darker ones since they attacked first and asking them WTF....

If they are all nass snails, they went after the feather duster because it was dying. Nass snails and bristle worms only go after dead and dying animals.

I think they are all Nass snails, but the two darker ones do behave differently than the lighter ones. I think I will feel better if I take those two out, even if they aren't cold blooded feather duster killers- which I still kinda think they are.... Could it be that since I am underfeeding that tank, they are just extra hungry? Humans turn to cannibalism, in extreme hunger situations... lol
But I guess the duster could have been dying... I had to acclimate it for like four hours due to the salinity in the bag being over 1.030 and higher than my refractometer could read.... I will be calling to complain to the LFS today .

You may have a point...if they we're extremely hungry, they possibly could have targeted the duster. I know when mines are hungry, when they start crawling up the glass walls looking for food.

If the salinity in the bag was that high, the featherduster may have been dying in the bag and hence why the snails when after it. I haven't seen any of my 24 nassarius snails anywhere near my feather duster. And I also have different colored nassies, some darker than the others, but they all seem to behave pretty much the same. How do your two darker ones behave differently?

How do your two darker ones behave differently?

The two darker snails are really fast, and I see them out on top of the sand more often than the light grey ones.

I called my LFS and they are going to give me a credit on the feather duster, and this will be the second time I have told them their salinity is way too high.....

Back