Ocean Goodies

U4BOYZ

Got Fish?
I got some snails and algae from the ocean today. Can I add them to my tank and feed the algae to my tang? Is there something I need to do to it first?

Did you get them from the ocean in New Hampshire? If so, those are totally different species than the tropical animals that live in your tank. I wouldn't add anything to my tank that I collected myself -- you never know what kind of diseases or pests it could be carrying, or if it is even reef-safe and will be safe around your animals. Any algae you find is not going to be the same type of algae that grows in tangs' habitats -- the tropics. Any snails you collect off the frigid waters of New England will boil very quickly in a 78-degree reef tank. Not to mention all the pollution off the eastern coast.

Last edited:
I wouldnt add anything from the oceans around New England, not since the recent flooding in the area. I know all RI beaches are closed due to flood water run off in there. Currents are going north right now so water is coming up from the south.

Back