Octo skimmer bubbles

Gdbyrd

life's a beach
I have had this Octo 800S setup now for about a month or two. It skims well, I guess it does, lol. My bioload is so low I probably don't even need a skimmer. This thing is putting out some HUGE bubbles though.

The only way I can get them to stop is to limit the flow out of the skimmer to raise the water level high enough to where it covers the return flow outlet. But I don't think that is a good solution, and I think there's a lot of chance for something bad to happen.

Anyone have a solution?

Anyhow, here is what I'm talking about.
aquarium001.jpg

aquarium002.jpg

Here's my attempt at a macro shot, it's not worthy of the photo forum, but it's an effort!
coralmacro007.jpg

Mine does the same thing. I don't mind the slightly larger bubbles, its the micro bubbles that get pushed through out the tank that drives me nuts.

you can mod it b y drilling holes in the right chamber that intakes water. and almost all the bubbles will be gone. if you want i can try to take better pictures of what i did to mine i drilled three holes. in the pictures thers is only one hole but i did two more a month ago or so and it works great

021-2.jpg

022.jpg

I have no micro bubbles in my tank. These big bubbles don't bother me with the look, but they're causing massive salt creep everywhere that they pop.

How do you drill that out? Also, how does that help with the big bubbles in the tank? I'd think that would lower the water level and I really need mine higher.

I'm considering stuffing some kind of sponge or mesh in the return to increase the water level.

That, or redoing the return line.

I'd be really worried about accidentally ruining the skimmer by drilling it.

i used i 90degree drill. dont increase the water level i tried that and it made it flood also it does not decrease the water level in the return side

When I had mine on the back of the 55 I had the same issues. You can slide a small carbon bag over the return. I used a small bag. Like 3" by 3". It took care of everything even the flow out of the return. So if you can add the flow elsewhere and aggitate the surface to get rid of the film that will gather then go for it.

Back