Octopi?

dreamwalk

Creator of the InvisoReef
I'm not sure if this goes here or not, but I was curious how well dwarf octopi or octopi in general did in reef tanks. I noticed that TBS has them for sell.....

Also, would their "ink" cause issues with the water levels?

I do know that they are very difficult to keep, and are excelent escape artists. So you would need a tight fitting lid.

Dont know much else.

Octopi are not reef safe and they also require lower light tanks that would not support a reef.

They generally don't live long in captivity -- a few months. They do require special set ups that ensure every single space is sealed up. They will squeeze out of the tiniest spaces.

I looked into keeping an octopus for a bit, and the overwhelming answer is they are a super pain in the ass to keep.

They are notorious for getting out of tanks even with a tight fitting lid. And you have to completely seal off all the equipment because they will mess with it, usually killing themselves. Powerheads are extremely problematic.

My lfs has octopus on occasion. They put them in those plastic critter keeper, put that in the tank, which is then locked shut and heavy stuff put around tid.

They generally don't live long in captivity -- a few months. They do require special set ups that ensure every single space is sealed up. They will squeeze out of the tiniest spaces.

Many species live less than a year in the wild. With the longest lived being 5 years. Also, they die after reproduction. Just found that out, but is very interesting.

Octopus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Very informative on octopi.

I would LOVE to have one I am all into the weird and strange creatures but I can barely keep my stupid goby from jumping out of the tank so I cant imagine trying to keep an octo in the tank they are famous for escaping.

Back