Octopus skimmer questions

I think I'm going to get the Reef Octopus 150 gal skimmer for my new setup. The manual says it needs to sit in 6-10" of water, but the water level in my sump will be 13" (I think, no water in there yet). So then I need to set the skimmer on a block or something - what do you guys use for that? Small bucket of some sort?
Also, my stand is not very tall, and I will have to slide the sump over (after emptying it) to get the skimmer out - how often would you say you need to remove the skimmer for cleaning? Is it easy to take apart in the sump or do you have to take the whole thing out for maintenance?

heres my puss 150 sitting on a rubber coated rack
100_0371.jpg

its funny that RO states 6'-10'' as thats above the gate valve

Get some plastic eggcrate from the hardware store and some zip ties, and just create a rack for it.

Thanks for the ideas. I'm not sure if this skimmer will work for me. I have only 29" height in my sump and the skimmer is 22.13", so the I only have 6" left to prop it up out of the water. Exactly what height is that gate valve/water outlet?

Well, if you have problems with raising the skimmer up, you could always lower the water level in your sump.

Well, if you have problems with raising the skimmer up, you could always lower the water level in your sump.

How can I lower the water level? The baffles are 12" high - would I have to somehow cut them down or drill a hole so the water goes on through to the rest of the sump? Skimmer goes in the first section in my sump.

Back