Oh sheesh!

fh64lucky

Reefing newb
I guess I have been in my own lil world with my aquarium to long.I have been going through alot of threads here on the forums.Things have come a LONG way since I started mine.I always used to warn people that I hear are starting up a new tank,I tell them it takes years to get it self contained and maintain life in it.I see here,alot of people have had tanks a year or less,yes hold tons of life(I hope they keep going well)and do not seem to have any problems.I hope you can teach an old dog new tricks,as I have a ton of catching up to do.I have been thinking about setting up a 200-300 gallon tank the same way I have had mine setup,I just do not know if it works the same on a big tank,as my lil 75 gal....:oops:

From what I've read,This hobby has made some major leaps forward.But even at that,a fully self-contained reef(requiring no maintance)is one a million.The bigger systems would be more stable though.

So, I'm guessing your new to looking at aquarium stuff on the internet as you have worded things.... Don't you have a lfs you go to to catch up on new stuff or are there magazines or books you read up on? Anyways I'm glad you came along. It'll be good for you to catch up! Welcome to the forum and that would be awesome if you set up a 300 gallon

Well,I dont ask questions to much at local fish stores.Mostly kids work there,who have not had tanks themselves long enough for me to ask stuff about.I learned everything I know by trail an error and by listening to other peoples ideas,then I put all of it together in my head,and do what I think will work.The time I put a baby Barracuda in my tank was one of those "errors":shock:
I never read any books on the subject,except about the berlin system,heck,I never read in school much either(im sure my spelling errors prove that):mrgreen:
After 13 years,I just would like a big tank,but only if it can be setup like my lil one.I work long hours so all that skimmer/chemical/refugeum stuff I would probably not be able to keep up with,unless I took my "calm down,stare at time"away and use that....but that would be a bummer.

The tanks that most people have here are just a modified version of the berlin system. Skimmer and refugium are just for organics exportation. Just the next logical step up from the original theory. My two cents anyway. Im not saying in any shap that your way is wrong, 13 years proves that your way works. Im just saying that with higher maintenance corals...comes higher maintenance. The nicest thing about forums, books magazines and talking to kids that you THINK dont have enough experience means that we can all share our knowledge and learn from others mistakes and not have to go through the heartbreak personally. Learn through osmosis my friend.

Hi and welcome! My "S" key has decided to stop working, and I am so mad at it and sick of pounding on it, that I am deciding to type as little as possible. So that's all I've got to say for now!!

glad to have you on board. I am not sure if there is anything we can teach you that is new, but if you have a specific question, fire away. Someone here will likely know the answer.

-Doc

Back