OhNo's Algae scrubber/HOB Emp..overflow project

OhNoNemo

i love triggers
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VX3MUFTkT0U]YouTube - Make an overflow box[/ame]
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQ7pTD0PqqI]YouTube - Algae scrubber[/ame]

You'll want to move the light so that they point directly at the scree...toward the middle of the screen. I can't see how you attached the screen to the PVC...I use tie straps..you can push them right through one of the tiny holes and zip tie it to the PVC.

Moved my lights,ditched the spray bar too

Attachments

• P2113044lights.jpg
    P2113044lights.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 785
Last edited:
Thanks,
Not too sure yet..,but PRC has really helped me out with mine ,he knows a lot about them ,and swears by them,and they seem to be getting more popular ...i never used a skimmer and a lot of people say they actually pull out some stuff you want in the water

That's normal...That's actually some good growth right there. After you clean it off one of 2 times, it'll start turning green. If the growth is ALL BROWN...you can remove all of it....if you've got some green growth leave a little...That thing will be rockin' in no time.

Look at the difference in your posts within 4 days! That's alot of growth.

1st cleaning today ,just a tiny bit of green stuff:D
2-19-11

Attachments

• P2183069s crubscren.jpg
    P2183069s crubscren.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 903
  • P2183073scrubscren2.jpg
    P2183073scrubscren2.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 949
I spent over four hours trying to construct one of these things and finally gave up, for the life of me I could not get the water flow to match, very frustrating not to mention the mess it created (I created). Some folks just have a better hand at DIY. Hooked up my skimmer and life is good again. Good luck with yours.

:lol:
Thanks so far its been great....and i actually have a new overflow box to work with(thanks PRC),,,but you are right....getting the return flow just right can be a little testy....
Where in south central PA ...i'm pretty much smack in the middle of the state

:lol:
Thanks so far its been great....and i actually have a new overflow box to work with(thanks PRC),,,but you are right....getting the return flow just right can be a little testy....
Where in south central PA ...i'm pretty much smack in the middle of the state
Got it hooked up and running ,with some trial and error its flowing nice and my return is open full.....very happy with it:D

I tried again, this time I just drilled a hole in the bottom of the tub for the return and it is now working, just finish letting it run 12 hours with no problem.

Hey Nemo, did you have any problems with the HOB overflow designed like that? I just finished putting together a scrubber thats housed in a small acrylic box I cut out to fit on top of my Emperor filter.... it's crap because my lights keep flooding into my main tank (This being a 20 gallon nano).

I've been trying to find more info about using a HOB as an overflow for a while...and this looks like it works!

Back