Ok So I Got Me A Volitan

grunt

Reefing newb
Got Me A 3 Inch Volitan Lion Fish That I Just Put In My 55 Today And I Need Some Tips And Sugestions On Feeding Schedules And What To Watch Out For In The Fish Other Then Their Stings.

if it stings say like your finger.It will swell up and fall off. Ok Im just mess'n with you.The sting potancy depends on there size.Right now what ever gets stung will just feel a little numb like you got a shot demoral.If you have any cuts they can get infected pretty bad.(hint)Where non powerder gloves of some kind.Once its start to eat anything that fits in its mouth can become a snack.My buddy has got a 55 with a lion,puffer,and a small snowflake eel.

I had one of these once, I feed it things like forzen shrimp and silversides. I would just de-thaw them then I used a CLEAR feeder stick that I bought from a LFS so the Lion couldn't see the stick. I feed him once a day like that. It was great fun to watch.

so far so good

well he just ate 2 feeder guppies i guess since they were smaller than those 2 green chromis i have there with it and well i don't know he just likes to hang out right there next to the heater and don't know how he just doesn't mind but oh well like i said so far so good.

lion fish

lion fish rock! I started out with one and now after my last purchase this weekend I have 3 violas,1 fumanchu, 1 fuzzy dwarf,1zebra dawrf,and a radiata. I love all of them.The 2 biggest ones will eat out of my hand(they take their food right out of my fingers).All mine are housed in a 100gallon tank with liverock,except the newest addition,aviola from africa.I also have a domino demsal(who was used to cycle the tank,but never got eaten).Also have several corals.My fish never mess with the corals or anything else.The information that I gave you about the shark I learned from petsolution.com as well as local fish store.I hope this will help with your lionfish,I think they are the coolest fish in the ocean.I only have a few more to get to make my collection complete. :^:

Demoral ????..I need to get me few big lion fish..When I get home from work to four kids,I can put my hand in the tank for a lil relief...Only thing is when they get real bad it will be hard to explain to wife on how did I get stung 40 times..LOL just kiddin...I think they are very beautiful fish though..

Do not feed your fish freshwater fish for any length of time. they lack the stuff that the fish needs. try large krill, silversides, ect. Meaty foods including marine fish and crustacean flesh. Live grass shrimp or feeder fish may be needed to initiate feeding. feed 3 to 4 times a week. once feeding is established feed only marine fare meaty.

hmmm

well never thought of that so i guess like one of these guys said i can just buy that clear feeding stick and hook up some squid, dead fish or shrimp and stuff like that well thanx for the tip

yes I agree with John, freshwater fish lack lipids which is most important. also lions are awesome but messy eaters.

but they are awesome!!!

Oh just for fun and the sport of it I used to go to Petco or Petsmart, where you can buy Damsels for cheap, and throw in 4 damsels it with the lion. Its fun to watch the damsels fight while the lion is sneaking in for the attack. I feed mine mainly frozen foods but I figgured a little fresh food wouldn't hurt, had to keep the lions hunting insticts in place.

feeding your lion

I completly agree with the previous post about freshwater fish. They lack omega 3 fatty acids that your lion needs to be healthy or his liver will fail over time and die. I use silversides and krill from time to time. He did make a meal of an anthia that I thought was too big for him - silly me. I have found that when the lion is introduced after other, smaller fish have been in the tank, they may not see them as food, but anything you place in after they have established their territory is fair game. I rather like the "feeding frenzy" look when I feed my fish and chum the water a bit and all the fish race toward the top. I do not use a stick and he seems to get all the food he needs. Don't worry about his sitting in a corner, mine tends to hang out upside down for the majority of the day underneath the overflow box in my tank. Good luck with your beautiful addition.

-Marco :sfish:

yeah

yeah i got rid of it cause my tank crashed and so i got some store credit. got a huma trigger now and he is a mean machine and i'm still trying to figure out what other tank mate i'm gona get cause he is spoiled like a dog and i bet he got his tank marked and controled so don't want to throw something that is going to get messed up in one day.

Tank mate

I would still have a lionfish. They can hold their own and don't get pushed around much. You could get an eel as well - I have quite enjoyed my white-eyed moray. He eats out of my hand and is not intimidated by anything, even my shark!!! Good luck with your choice. Just make sure to wait a couple weeks to make sure everything is OK before you add anything. Especially after a crash. Heaven knows I have had too many of those. lol

-Marco :sfish:

yep

want to throw something else after like 2 weeks but not sure what since my trgger is bad. would like a trgger tank but gona take some research

Back