Ok, so I'm going to go with MH!!!

Melonbob

Reef enthusiast
I want to go with MH lighting for the 180. I want to build a DIY canopy with some retrofit kits inside. Now I've been told everything from 3X250, 3X400, 2X400 with a special reflector to spread out more, 1X400 and 2X250.....you get the idea. Any input? Also can anyone tell me a brand that balances quality and value? I know nothing about MH. I am going to Detroit next weekend, what is pricing like in the US? Does anyone shop around Detroit/Troy? Thanks guys

I wont try to get into how many halides at what wattages,Cause I'm lost when it comes to those lights.But from I've been looking at on halides,they will run you anywhere from 150 to 450 US dollars.Depending on how you decide to go.

3x250w would work nice for a 180.
Check out Hello Lights for reflectors. They run from about $20 each to over $100 each.
As far as bulbs, it depends on the look you want. 20k bulbs are more blue and you will get a slower growth rate from the coral. 10k is whitish/yellow, but you will get the best growth. I personally like 15k. They are not too blue and you get good growth.
I suggest spending some time on Sanjays Reef Lighting site. You can check out the many bulbs he tested. You want to look for a bulb with a high PPFD (Photosynthetic Photon Flux Density) and look at the CCT (Correlated Color Temperature). The CCT is actually the "K" color of the bulb.

Back