Old lights kill coral?

clancaster23

Reefing newb
Not sure if I should post this in this section or the equipment part since it pertains to both...

My frogspawn I posted a few days ago is basically totally dead and not sure why except for the fact that maybe my lights are just too old. Water params are good as I just tested when I posted the pics a few days ago. I have a hammer and another frogspawn in there and although they do not look as good as they have, they are still alive. I have a few other coral like zoas, a few acans, mushrooms (I know they won't die due to lack of light) and even my two rock flower nems are looking good. It's just the hammer and frogspawns that are looking like crap. Would poor lighting do this? I have a four bulb T5. Would I have to replace all four (there's two actinics and two 54 watt whites. Reason I ask is I'm limited on what I can spend on tank stuff right now so if I can get away with just replacing the white bulbs for now, that's what I want to do but if I need to do all four for best results, I will.

if the bulbs are more than about a year old, they definitely need to be replaced, and they are likely putting out far less light then they were when new - it could definitely cause issues with coral if they're old enough - especially if the coral is new

First, how long has it been since they were replaced? Second, are you seing any sort of brown jelly substance on those three as they deteriorate? If you can only replace 2 I'd go with one ATI Aqua Blue Special, and one ATI Blue plus.

Well I'll be honest and say I have never changed the bulbs since I have had this tank and light, almost a year and a half now. I know that's well over the recommended year so I guess I'm paying for it now with losing my frogspawn and possibly others. The frogspawn is not new, it's about as old as the tank itself, probably 14 months. The brown jelly stuff, I'm not seeing it.

Fast, would those replace my two white lights?

You know, one is a white, the blue plus is an actinic. You can google reefgeek.com and call them and ask what they would suggest. My personal preference is a bit bluer.

I think I may do that before I order anything. Thanks for the site too, I knew about them but forgot what it was. I wouldn't mind a little bluer that what I have now but right now I just need to get some new ones in there so I'm not wiping out my whole tank. I want to go MH but the extra finances just aren't there at the moment. One day ;)

I have to believe that it was hte lights that killed the frogspawn now. Got the lights in a couple days ago and did a rearrangement of my rocks and although some of the frogspawn did die off, a couple of the heads are still alive and look to be doing well. Everything else seems to be enjoying the new lights also so hopefully this is lesson learned. I'm hoping by the time it's time to buy new bulbs, I'll be getting halides. Going to get that for my 40 first though. By the way, I got what fast suggested and I love the look. Pretty bright which is what I want but just a slight tint of blue which is nice to look at.

Back