On the right track?

jef9891

Reefing newb
I new and not sure if im on track or not. My tank has been setup for just under a month, started with base rock, sand, heater and couple power heads. I have a upgraded power head coming in tomorrow. its gonna be a sump less system for now, since i have no room for one. Will be ordering a skimmer here in a couple weeks. The tank is gonna be a FOWLR. 2 weeks ago i bought a live rock to help get the cycle going. This is the part im not sure on. The LFS said it was really good rock and people been having good luck with it and the tank should cycle pretty quick. Well since i put it in the tank my Ammonia has been .5 and everything else is at 0 for the last week. Sunday i asked the guy at the LFS thinks im getting a false positive on the ammonia and that tank may have been cycled already since everything is at 0. For the last week my base rock is getting Brown looks like brown felt. and now the sand is getting a hint of brown. i was told this was gonna happen which is a good sign i guess. So could of my tank cycled already or is about too. im in no hurry for fish, just want to make sure whats going on with the tank.

Regardless of what rock you use, you will most likely cycle. How much rock do you have? You have to get something in the water to rot to produce ammonia first, too, so if you haven't done that, try putting a piece of raw table shrimp in. that's probably ehy you have a steady, low reading.

The way the lady talked when i got the live rock there was enough stuff on it to start the cycle. She was like we have to find a rock with a lot junk on it and that should work. as of right now i have probably 50lbs of rock in it. most being base rock. Working getting more sometime here.

If you used "live" rock there is nothing to promote a cycle. You need die off if you want the rock to start the cycle. You can try putting in a piece of raw table shrimp as suggested by Kyle but even then the live rock you have in the tank may already have enough bacteria on it to break down the ammonia so it is undetectable on your tests. It would be worth a try to make sure, IMO.

No you did not mess up the tank. Just need to make sure you are cycled before adding livestock. A picture would help as far as the algae you have. It could be diatoms, cyano or dinos. Your new tank will go through different types of blooms.

Well here is the best pictures i can get. Rock and sand both have Brown

Attachments

• 20130509_182145.jpg
    20130509_182145.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 256
  • 20130509_182220.jpg
    20130509_182220.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 244
Back