Online Sites

Marinedepot.com is good, Drs.FosterandSmith.com is good, check out our sponsor Nathans site. He offers a LR discount but im not sure if he carries what you are looking for.

Thanks- I'm really just looking for a stronger pump and test kits. I only have Ammonia, PH and Nitrite. I want to get one for calcium, nitrate, etc. I saw API had a master test kit and was thinking of purchasing that one - do you think this is a good idea? I also have a problem with my tank the actinic light won't sty on. I called Biocube and they are sending me a new light bulb but I'm not sure that's the issue. How badly will that affect my tank?

Hey Yote, Been reading as you told me What is the difference between Alkalinity PH and PH. The forum I read stated that the PH of 4-5 was associated with Alkalinity and that PH should be 8+. What is the difference between the two PH's.

Thats one of the BIG complaints we get at the LFS on those bio-cubes.The light ballasts are pretty much crap,and I'm guessing the ballast is where your problems at.
It'll make the colors look washed out and kinda give the whole tank a yellow tint.
For the test kits,I'd just pick up an API kit for nitrates.Then for calcium,alkalinity,magnesium,and PH,I'd go with the Salifert kits.Their more expensive,but their also more accurate and will give you a better idea of what your tank is using the most.

Now your getting into chemistry,which is over my head:D But maybe this will help.
Alkalinity is the measurement used to describe waters resistance to PH swings.Its also called Carbonate hardness or carbonate alkalinity.
Alkalinity effects your PH.And your right,you want the PH to be from 8.0 to 8.4

Hope I didnt just confuse you more.

No that's what I suspected- If I test my PH at 8.1 then I'm ok- the carbonate used from growth is also received from photosynthesis and calcium. So I'm OK. remember I picked up the birds nest - I don't know if my calcium level can support hard coral (LPS ?). That is why I want the test kit. I have the birdnest directly under the light and i am hoping for good results.

My zoa, xenia and kenya are all doing well, I am still waiting for the sun coral to come around to feeding but the fungia I have looks like it's splitting -that can't be good. So I want to check calcium.

So my focus now is -lighting, calcium and chemistry. Anemones are all gone! LOL

Thanks

Rich

Birdsnest is actually a SPS coral or small polyp stony.
Test PH at 2 different times of the day.Once in the morning,no more than a minute or a 2 before your lights come on.Thats when you PH should be the lowest.
Then again within a minute or 2 of the lights going off for the night.Thats when the PH will be the highest.
If you can keep the PH around 8.3 or 8.4 for the high reading and 8.1 or 8.0 for the lowest,your birdsnest will do a lot better.
I've found that most SPS corals like a higher PH.

the carbonate used from growth is also received from photosynthesis and calcium.

Just to clarify this... carbonate is -not- generated from photosynthesis. The only relationship carbonate has with photosynthesis is it can be converted to carbon dioxide (under the right pH conditions), which is a starting component of photosynthesis.

Carbonate is important in reefs for two primary reasons-- it "buffers" the pH (a fancy word meaning makes it less likely to get large swings in pH), and it's a critical component for stony corals. Their skeletons are essentially calcium carbonate... that's why you see a decrease in calcium -and- carbonate, as time goes on. :) so the phrase "alkalinity pH" is kind of misleading... it'd be better if everyone called it somethin' else. :D Normal pH is just a measure of how much acid you have in the water. But ALL the other chemistry in our tanks depend on the pH.

Thank you- So If my PH level is 8.3 and Calcium is 350ppm then the stony coral have a better chance of survival even though the lighting is not the best?

Thank you- So If my PH level is 8.3 and Calcium is 350ppm then the stony coral have a better chance of survival even though the lighting is not the best?

A PH of 8.3 is great.Calcium at 350 aint that bad,but it really needs to close to 450.I shoot for somewhere between 400 and 450.Anything below 400 and I dose it.In between,I leave it alone.
You still need the right light for the corals your keeping too.It takes the combination of light,carbonate alkalinity,calcium,and magnesium to keep corals happy and healthy.

Back