Oops...

Patzig

welp, that didn't work..
Thought I would share my accident. Today I set up a new skimmer. I had a HOB skimmer and bought a new "sit in the sump" skimmer. On my new skimmer it had a very long air tube that ties back to the pump (like all skimmers do). When I set it up I figured I would throw the air tube over the back side of the tank so it wouldn't fall into the water, thus not receiving any air. I had also plugged my skimmer into my timer that controls my lights, needless to say that at 8 PM when my lights shut off so did my skimmer, and it actually created a backwards siphon, pulling water out the back of my tank through the air tube. My tank is on the second story and I was in the kitchen on the first story. So my roommate comes home and informs me that there is water leaking from my room on the outside of the apartment. I of course in shear fear run upstairs to find that my tank had self siphoned about 2-3 gallons of water. Luckily we caught it before there was too much damage.

Needless to say, the properties and physics of water should be fully understood before setting up a tank. Any tubes or plumbing sitting outside of the tank can cause potential damage. Good lesson learned today...

Back