Opinions on T5

va reef walker

Reefing newb
Hello everyone,

Recently I was throwing around getting an Odyssea lighting fixture. I've heard from a lot of people that they are good fixtures, but too I've also heard the other side as well.

So this got me to looking into other fixtures. Now as luck would have it I can't honestly make my mind up as to what to buy.

We have a 55 gallon tank and are looking for a 48" fixture that will allow us to have whatever coral we may want. I don't honestly know at this point whether to get 4 or 6 lamp fixtures.

I've looked hard at the Tek lights but they lack fans and night lights that we are interested in. Too though the other fixtures that we've looked at that do have those features don't have things like individualized reflectors.

In light of this what are you guys using? And where is a good place to look for them?

Thanks in advance

Are you set on T5? A lot of us are going to LED's. They are more expensive but IMO well worth the extra money. Also, T5 can only go so far. With 6 lights, you may be able to do some SPS but to really do the expert SPS coral, you need either LED or metal halides (I think correct me guys if I am wrong).

R3verb,

No I can't say that I'm completely set on T5. Alot that I have read on LED doesn't have me convinced as of yet though. There's too much back and forth on it, so much so that a newby like myself can get frustrated with what's true and whats not. As far as fixtures go I wouldn't even begin to know where to start due to the 1w vs 2w vs 3w LED debate. Not to mention all the other things involved. I figured at least with T5 there was a mediocre level of understanding that they were effective in keeping corals.

Basically what's happened is through so much researching, I've now got myself into a situation where I'm not positive as to what direction to go....:)

You can keep SPS under t5 if you have individual reflectors.

I would personally get a 6 bulb fixture with the individual reflectors or save up for some LED. The price has really come down in the past few years and you will be saving money on energy cost and on bulb replacement.

Definantly want the HO. Most if not all fixtures for marine tanks are t5HO.
I would still go with 6 bulbs.
4ft bulbs would be 54watts a piece.

Thanks bjohanson1234,

I wasn't sure if the six bulb would be too much for a 55 gallon or not.

Any ideas for six bulb fixtures with Moonlights, fans, individual reflectors that have a good rep?

HATE HATE HATE T5. Just my 2 cents. I have 8 bulbs over my 75 and I can't keep anything except softies alive under them unless its about 3 inches from the surface. And I have individual reflectors. Now my LEDs on my 27 cube. I love them, I have amazing growth, and want to switch to LEDs on my 75.

Little Fish,

Thanks for the recommendation. That's one I've actually had my eye on, but between the number of lamps, and not having heard anything from anyone using it didn't know if that would be a choice.

If you decide that you want LEDs these are pretty good: Finsanity Aquarium Store

They'll make them for you and you'll get them in a few weeks or months or years... I got the 66 system for my 75 gallon and though it might be a bit on the white side, it does seem to grow corals well. If you have some extra money to spend on I think you'd be better with the aquatic illumination SOL.

Odyssea does sell affordable halides, and if you are willing to put up with the disadvantages of metal halide lighting, you would be fine with those.

Thank you Sir Alex,

I'll look into the website you've provided. I'm still not too sure about LED though.
I love the idea, I'm just not sure that the technology is there yet though. For me that may be something to consider down the road in a couple of years or so.

The technology is there, but you do have to pay top dollar for the high quality LED fixtures

You do pay top dollar, but from what I have calculated, you end up saving that money in the long run when you look at the cost of replacing bulbs every year vs every 5 years, energy cost (especially when you compare it to MH lights) and especially if you had to get a chiller to counteract the heat. Just my 2 cents.

The price on the some of the reputable LED fixtures has started coming down, the AI Sol can now be purchased for $399, and several others have had price drops as well

To the OP - I do not know what your budget is, but two AI SOL's would let you keep anything you wanted over your tank

T5's have been proven many times over, and if you decide to go this route, definitely get a 6 bulb fixture with individula reflectors. The Nova extreme that was linked before is a very good fixture. When you order your fixture, keep in mind that most fixtures come with absolute crap for bulbs from the factory. You will probably want to call George over at ReefGeek when you get your fixture, and get set up with a set of ATI bulbs. If you tell George your color preferences, he will set you up with the right combination of bulbs

From what I have read. LEDs are actually starting to last more like 11 years now. Manufacturers have learned that running them at full power is what was taking them down to 5 years. and at the 5 year mark they were still producing 70% of the light. Many manufacturers are running them at 70% to start with, which prolongs the life much longer. Even DIY sites recommend running at 70% power.

Back