Our New CPR Nano Reactor

Bertie

Reefing newb
It came, very punctually from its EBay source. If you wish to know what it looks like running alone, check on Youtube.Many images available.

It had decent documentation for a Beta unit, but in my LFS I could find only a Chemi-Pure medium for de-nitration which turned into a coal-dust mess like London 1890. Luckily we tried it out in a bucket, first. So I have ordered pellets from Two Little Fishies that look more like the Youtube videos. When I have a picture of the unit running as in the video, in our own little tank, I will share it. So far I can say the thing DOES run quiet, is strong enough to fluidize media and small enough to fit in a largish raincoat pocket. What more could I ask for for $37.50? Of course is is not specifically a de-nitrator, but a reactor of one's choice, depending upon media.

I will write again when the media arrives and share further. And I thank Northstar again for pointing me in the right direction. Splendid new toy!

I assume the pellets you are referring to are Bio Pellets? If so, they will definitely remove nitrates from the water once the bacteria get established

continuing news of our CPR beta release nano reactor

We set up the little thing loose in our tank, leaning against the back wall, so that we could get a pic of the thing in proportion to a 29 gal cube. We filled it half way with 2 Little Fishies denitrating biopellets and turned it on. Immediate fluidisation with no cloudy water (which we were warned would be the result if our nitrates were high), We got the picture but are still struggling with Photobucket so that we can share it.

It fits into the Oceanic Biocube sump perfectly next to the Tunze skimmer, and we will slide it down today.

So far - very pleased with a $37.50 expense plus biopellets. I know it will be a while before the bacteria colonizes the pellets, but our regular large water changes will keep us out of trouble (we hope). Our little AIO system bears little resemblance to its original state, but it is a nice, workable system so far. We have kept the foam square in the lower outlet from what was a refugium into the chamber which contains the pump. That is our only physical filtration and does seem to serve to catch the large detritus. Again . . . so far.

We will follow with that picture soon, I hope. I do recommend any of these beta units which are available on eBay or where ever. They are dainty and yet workable!

How the nano de-nitrator is working in its first week

I can't say whether the milkyness of the tank on the first day after turning on the reactor filled with Two Little Fishies biopellets was because of the levels of nitrate in the tank (we were warned this might happen) or because we had just used a considerable amount of Oceanic putty, which I find produces more of that particular side-effect than other brands. After two days, however, the nitrate test went from approx. 12 to approx .5. It has stayed at that level or lower, much to my surprise. I didn't expect quite so much of a difference. After watching it work in the back of the tank for two day, we stuffed the unit, complete with pump, into our miniscule sump next to the skimmer and through the window in the sump can still watch the pellets swirling.

Three other immediate effects:
The optional screen on top of the reactor began to be clogged with yellowish scum, which was to be expected, if the system was doing its job. We removed the screen, as none of the pellets swirl high enough to excape the unit.

The foam mechanical filter which fits between the mid section of the sump and the small part holding the circulating pump, became dirty rather faster than usual - again to be expected.

Third, the skimmer is catching more scum.

All in all I'm amazed what the little thing has done and how quickly. Yesterday I did a water change and stirred up the sand, removing old detritus and buried algae. Today my ammonia and nitrate readings are still as near zero as i have yet seen. Perhaps there will be a drawback to the nanoreactor in the future. Right now we're both as happy as the crocea!

Latest on the beta version nano de-nitrator

Wow.

I'm staring at this little tank that looks like it's filled with sunlight. Never had a tank so clear. My Salifert nitrate reading was 1.5.

I had to remove half the bio-pellets I had put in the little unit, because they were 'fluidizing' so hard against one another they were scattering snow through the tank. Now, after a couple of days, it has settled and the number of pellets I can see through the glass window in the 'refugium' where we've put the unit look like the Utube pictures of the CPR beta version..

This will be the first weekend since we set up the little tank when I see no need for a water change. (That does not mean I don't believe in regular water changes).

But - wow!

Back