over skimming

EmperorLay

Reefing newb
Is it possible to have too much protein skimming in a tank. I have a berlin triple pass in my sump and a prizm deluze hang on, thank's.

Overskimming is normally not a worry with the average hobbist. Since I will be running 5 skimmers in my system I will also have a dosing program. as long as you do adequate water changes you should not have a problem. There are two camps on this issue of overskimming one that feels it is possible to overskim and one that feels it is not possible with the equipment used by hobbist. I would not worry, but do test for depleted iodide, strotium, magnesium, calcium, and watch your alkalinity levels. good luck and keep us posted. (skimming is good, overskimming not to worry, water changes a must).

Last edited:
i have 125 gallons with 180 pounds of live rock 100 pounds of ls and i'm using aqua c remora pro skimmer that i just switched powerhead head from rio 1400 to rio 2500 and also running a prizm pro deluxe, cannister and hang on filter for bio filters. I don't think it over skims just slows down when waste has been removed my worked good for a while than both have slowed down alot since tank has matured.

Back