Over/Under feeding?

leon1972

Reefing newb
Hey guys. I keep seeing something about feed your fish for two minutes and thats good. Heres the thing, only about 1/2 of the "Pellets" get eaten before they hit the botton of the tank. I started dropping them a few at a time only. Is that what they mean by feeding for two minutes? or will my fish eventually realize food is on the ground and eat that? I dont want TOO much build up on the ground, yet it seems only 1/2 the food, if that much, is getting eaten.

u should feed em frozen food. its alot more natural for ur fish..also i think pellets contain nitrates and phosphates.

I was told by the petstore ive been working with since the beginning to give them the pellets and then i have frozen brine to feed them every 2 or three days. Thats what the petshop owner told me i should do. Should I just switch to the brine? It just seemed so much more expensive was all. They are formula one marine small feeding pellets.

i wouldnt always go with what they say at a pet store.
what kind of fish are they? im sure mostly everyone on this forum would agree that frozens are the way to go.
i like to feed my fish a variety...brine shrimp, mysis, krill, ...

I feed pellets myself, just don't over do it...as far as the 2min rule, feed your tank only what they could eat in that time frame. If it hits the bottom, then you're probably over feeding.

Brine isn't very nutritious - think of it more like candy for fish. There are some good frozen preparations out there that include more nutritious foods. Check out formula one, marine cuisine, frozen mysis, or frozen blood worms next time you need to buy food instead of going with just frozen brine.

I dont have just frozen brine, they get formula one pellets daily and frozen brine every two or 3 days. I only have 3 fish in it right now. 2 Clowns and a Blue Damsel. If i were to follow the rule that if food is hitting the bottom then im overfeeding them they wont even all get food. I can drop in 3 pelets at a time and one might still hit the bottom before they notice the food still. I do plan on feeding in the same place at all times and im hoping they will get to know that is where the food will drop from.

My clownfish steals all the food before it starts to sink...i sometimes feel bad for the chromis because he gets one pellet while the clown gets 5-6 in a matter of seconds.

maybe my clowns are slower because they are tiny or because they are only about 24 hours in the tank, though they seem to have adapted VERY well!!!!

Heres my schedule. I use 1/4 cube each time, once daily for my entire tank. Corals, 1 Occelaris and my CUC:

Monday - Frozen Mysis
Tuesday - Emerald Entree
Wednesday - Marine Cuisine
Thursday - Lifeline Carnivore
Friday - Formula One (frozen)
Saturday - Frozen Mysis

Sunday is my waterchange and maintenence day so I only use Microvert; and I use that Tuesdays and Thursdays as well. What works for me may not work for you, but it should hopefully get you an idea of where to start. Theres also Rod's which I think is too expensive, and different blends of things as well. Experiment!

Heres my schedule. I use 1/4 cube each time, once daily for my entire tank. Corals, 1 Occelaris and my CUC:

Monday - Frozen Mysis
Tuesday - Emerald Entree
Wednesday - Marine Cuisine
Thursday - Lifeline Carnivore
Friday - Formula One (frozen)
Saturday - Frozen Mysis

I tell my fish (and my kids) "You get what you get, and you don't throw a fit!" :mrgreen:

But +1 everyone -- I, too, feed formula 1 pellets...but as a treat once in a while when I'm bored and feel like giving extra food lol So maybe once a week. Then I feed a mix of frozen mysis, emerald entree, or spirulina (and of course algae sheets for my herbivores). Variety is good. And brine is a treat and shouldn't be used as their main staple.

Keep in mind at the end of the day, even the best LFS is a business. Best to get information from multiple places and do research.

This is what I have currently.

lg_12020_FS20909D.jpg

The clowns and the goby love it!

I feed 1/2 cube once daily.

I use 1/2 cube from the first row then the next day I use 1/2 cube form the next row so they get a 4 day variety and then I just repeat the process.

The clowns literally attack the turkey baster and the normally shy goby come out of hiding and even swims up to get the pieces.

Feeding time is fun to watch.

One thing I was made aware of with the clowns, is Brine shrimp is like candy to them, there is No Nutritional value to Brine, switch to Mysis, so much more healthier, and with cubes, you can always feed half a cube a first, then if need be the other half.

WOW. I just used the brine and SO much better than the pellets. The pellets dropped to the bottom in about two seconds and the brine turned into little flakes that floated about the tank till eaten. So MUCH better results. So i think im going to start doing a multipack rotation with the pellets in the roatation as well until they are gone so as not to waste money. Less crap on the bottom of the tank that way.

I think that's a good plan. No sense in wasting the pellets if they do like them. Frozen food is healthier and better for your water quality.

Yeah, thats what i was thinking. The pellets may last six months but if they only get used every four or five days they will have less of an adverse effect on my water.

Back