Overflow box choices

grozier

something smells fishy
Would it be better to have one or two overflow boxes? Can't really drill the tank so, oi will be using a aux pump to keep siphon in tube. I'll have about 900gph return, can you over do the overflow box size? I wouldn't think so.

Why Can`t you drill the tank? And You can make your overflow box on your own :)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWyCHK5wowY]DIY overflow box - 2 $ - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnfkP3Gb1k4]Drilled my aquarium,installed bulkhead :) - YouTube[/ame]

Homer, some tanks are made of tempered glass, which cannot be drilled. Not sure if that is the case here.
Drilling the tank and having a built in overflow is a bit safer. Less chance for an interupted siphon, but hang on overflows can work.

I would only use one just get a larger sized one for your tank. Did you already buy your overflow? If not I'd reccomend getting one from lifereef, they don't require a pump to keep the siphon going.

Why do the drilled tanks have two overflows then? Wouldn't it be better to have one on each corner of the tank? I'm afraid to drill the tank with water in it and I dont want to really mess with it being setup at this moment and if I mess it up I won't be able to buy another one.

Dont drill a set up tank...I have a overflow box on my tank, its a knock off brand but the cpr design. The knock offs dont come with a included stand pipe but thats a easy fix. Its just some 1 inch pvc pipe. Most people that use a overflow box only use one because its just easier only having one. Mine is rated at 600 gph for a 125 you could put one on each side or you go with the double which is rated 1200 gph. I have a aqualifter pump connected to mine to prevent loss of siphon. It has been running since September and I have had three power outages it has restarted with no issue each time. I got mine here, Overflow Box for the price and how well it has worked I have no complaints. You can look at my build thread I have shown what I did to make mine silent. If you have any questions about how to set one up just ask.

Homer, some tanks are made of tempered glass, which cannot be drilled. Not sure if that is the case here.
Drilling the tank and having a built in overflow is a bit safer. Less chance for an interupted siphon, but hang on overflows can work.

Tanks usually have only bottoms tempered.. not the sides..

I bought a cpr cs102 overflow box, rated for 1200gph, then a 1200gph return pump all in a 20gal tank for my sump.

Was very easy to setup, and be sure to put a ball valve on the return line to adjust the speed of the water.

Back