overflow box or drilled tank?

beeguiles

they call me fish geek ;p
Few more questions regarding a sump and such. I'm in the beginning stages of planning my upgrade. Still haven't decided on the tank yet. Might go with a 93g cube but here's my question. Is it better to have a drilled tank or to use an overflow box for the sump. What are the pros and cons of each. A non drilled tank is cheaper...which is what I'm aiming for.

Drilled by far. I looked at overflow boxes a little and they seem to be around $80 each. You will want (need?) to plumb an airline into the box and run it to a powerhead to continually suck out any trapped air.

The boxes are really just a makeshift method of retrofitting a running tank, IMO. Take the time to get it drilled right and enjoy the years of peace and satisfaction that comes with a well built system.

Last edited:
Some overflow boxes use pumps to remove the air, however there are overflow boxes that do not require pumps they use a U tube that spans the gap and the ends are continually submerged to maintain the siphon. I use one and my power goes out from time to time and I never have an issue.

Eshopps PF-800 Overflow Box - Up to 125 gal. | ThatPetPlace.com

Jeff at lifereef can explain it better, he is a wonder to work with and will answer any questions you might have.

prefilter box, siphon box, overflow box, siphon overflow, Eurobrace, Euro-brace, Euro-tank

Some overflow boxes use pumps to remove the air, however there are overflow boxes that do not require pumps they use a U tube that spans the gap and the ends are continually submerged to maintain the siphon. I use one and my power goes out from time to time and I never have an issue.

Eshopps PF-800 Overflow Box - Up to 125 gal. | ThatPetPlace.com

Jeff at lifereef can explain it better, he is a wonder to work with and will answer any questions you might have.

prefilter box, siphon box, overflow box, siphon overflow, Eurobrace, Euro-brace, Euro-tank

+1 I am adding one of those Eshopps to my 29 gallon for my 10 gallon sump I am designing. They have good reviews and are decently priced. If you can get your tank drilled however, I think that would be the way to go but for those of us with tanks that are already up and running and can't get them drilled overflows are a good way to go.

Thanks for your input guys. I haven't even ordered the tank yet so I think I'm gonna end up going to drilled route. It seems like it will give me more peace of mind and its all together a better way to run a sump.

Thanks for your input guys. I haven't even ordered the tank yet so I think I'm gonna end up going to drilled route. It seems like it will give me more peace of mind and its all together a better way to run a sump.

This is the simplest route - if you're ordering the tank anyway, why not order it exactly the way you'd want it?

+1 North, I'll never buy a non-reef ready tank again. I had way too many issues with my HOB overflow.

It would be much easyer to go reef ready. but if I had to chouse between over flow box or drilled tank i would go drilled tank. It is a little bit more work but over all i think it is the best of the two.

dont get me wrong they both work great but i prefer the advantages with a drilled tank.

Back