Overflow box

Treezer8

Reefing newb
I'm searching for a nice overflow box to use for piping to my sump for my 75gal tank.
I see so many kinds on every website..Any recommendations?

I have the 600 gph one from aquatraders and it works great. Cheap as well. I made a little standpipe in it with a peace of 1 inch pvc (had to sand the end a little for a snug fit) I added a aqualifter pump to it so I have no issue with bubbles or the box restarting after power outage. Here is the link. Overflow Box

LifeReef is probably the best. But they are pricey. Eschopps and CPR are also good brands for overflow boxes. I used a CPR overflow box for years and had no problems with it. Be sure to get the AquaLifter pump with it if you buy the CPR one.

+1 Biff Ive heard many great things about the LifeReef overflows.. Im currently using the Eshopps PF-300 for my overflow on a 37g. Im still working on my plumbing but should have it running shortly. I will keep you posted if you are still looking.

I think I'm going to use a CPR CS90

So let me get this straight..Since this is my first time setting up a sump.

The overflow box takes water in from the surface, then you put piping in the bottom to take it down under the tank, and drop water into the sump. Then you set up your chambers, put in protein skimmer, bubble trap, then have a return pump at the end that you plug in, and attach tubing to, so it pumps water back into the tank.

1. Is there supposed to be a pump on the line coming in?
2. If I have a 20gal sump on a 70gal tank, and I just start running it, like right after its filled up, can it have any negative effects?

You've got it right.

1. Nope. Only a return pump to bring water back to the tank from the sump.
2. Nope. You can start running a sump anytime you want.

Just a few pictures to help ya. Im still working on my plumbing for my first sump as well.. I have the drain line in so far.. working on the return line.

Attachments

• 10g Sump DIY.jpg
    10g Sump DIY.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 438
  • 37gproject1.jpg
    37gproject1.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 308
  • newplumbing.jpg
    newplumbing.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 284
  • sump1.jpg
    sump1.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 320
  • sump2.jpg
    sump2.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 538
These are also older pictures.. I ended up putting my drain line on the left side and return on the right. But you get the picture :P

So I think I'll be ordering my overflow box tonight. (CPR cs90)

Question.. On the return pvc, you just set it up like in the shape of a staple, if your looking at it from the side, or like one of these [ . And then when the piping gets to the top of the tank, do you put a small L piece so the tube goes UNDER the water, and the returning water goes in like that? So it doesn't fall in..in comes out while under water.

Just making sure I get that part right..I don't want it to be unstable or anything.

Also, what are your guys' opinions on using the flexible tubing vs pvc?

Looks like I've got another problem as well..

So the overflow box is 600gph
The only pumps I have to use as return pumps are 2200gph and I have another a tiny bit smaller one but looks like its 1200gph

larger one ViaAqua: Pumps/powerheads
smaller one PondMaster Mag-Drive 1200 GPH Submersible Pump - Submersible Pumps

both of these I got basically free, good condition.
So do I need to get a whole new pump that is 600 or less gph? or how does that work?

Heard of some people installing ball valves and being able to get away with using bigger pumps?

Or should I get a bigger overflow box..

Last edited:
This is what I have. 600 gph over flow box, flexible drain line goes into skimmer section, fuge not pictured, return pump with clear plastic tubing going to elbow return in tank. The pumps you have are to strong for the overflow. You could get a bigger box or a less powerful return pump. I got my equipment from aquatraders...has worked well for me, the drain and return line I got from my LFS just better quality. My box was $39.90 they do have a 1200 for $49.90 Return pump is rated 712 gph was $29.90 The drain line and clear tube from lfs was around $25 bucks. Hope this helps...The box I have and the CPR are basically the same design. The only thing is the box I got I had to add a piece of 1 inch pvc inside the box and a sponge cost of sponge was $5. The cpr comes with it and for over $100. I have been running mine since end of august and my system is silent. I have had two power outages and with the aqualifter pump on the box have had no floods or issues restarting the system automatically. The aqualifter I got at the LFS as well was $15

Oh the reason a 712 pump works with a 600 gph box is I lose gph on the return side because of 4 ft of headloss. Also the return elbow I got from aquatraders as well, directional u tube is what it is called and a 2 pack is $9.90. You will want to drill two holes in it just below the water line so you will break back siphon in a power outage. Why two? because one will have a snail on it when you need the hole...lol lifes a bitch and having a back up to the back up is a good thing.

Thanks Ted, you helped me a lot.

Just a few things to clear up..
Should the return pump be LESS gph than 600, or a little bit over? Or it doesn't make a big difference?

When you say 4ft of headloss, is that how long your return line is?

And sorry, but I'm really inexperienced with plumbing right now, I usually get help. The clear tubing (the return line) just attaches to one small pvc part? How do you keep it secure, with the weight and everything. Does it sit on the top of the tank like a HOB filter does?

And can you explain the drilling holes and what "break back siphon" means please?

Thanks man, I appreciate it. I'm still learning a lot

Thanks Ted, you helped me a lot.

Just a few things to clear up..
Should the return pump be LESS gph than 600, or a little bit over? Or it doesn't make a big difference?

When you say 4ft of headloss, is that how long your return line is?

And sorry, but I'm really inexperienced with plumbing right now, I usually get help. The clear tubing (the return line) just attaches to one small pvc part? How do you keep it secure, with the weight and everything. Does it sit on the top of the tank like a HOB filter does?

And can you explain the drilling holes and what "break back siphon" means please?

Thanks man, I appreciate it. I'm still learning a lot
Return pump should be more the 600 gph...The headloss is the added back pressure of pushing the water up. Another factor is if you hard plumb and have elbows you have more back pressure so more headloss...The idea is you want your return as straight as possible. My pump is directly below the direction u tube of the return no bends. THe clear line is kinda soft. The return pump and the directional u tube return have barbed fittings that go inside the clear tubing. What you do is put the tubing in hot water to make it expand then push it on the barbed fittings. Once it cools you get a strong firm fit and no leaks. I have know people to use hose clamps (plastic please) but I have never had the need. The u tube is designed to hang on the tank. The clear tubing is easy to cut when you buy it get more then you need and cut it to fit. You dont want a lot of sag in the line. I will post a pic of it....

As far as drilling hole in it. What I did was use a very small drill bit and drilled two holes in the u tube just below the water line. If it was out of the water you would see water stream from them.

Here is a link to the directional u tube I bought.
79051-2T.jpg
79051-2T.jpg
79051-2T.jpg
For some reason I cant get it to post the pic....Plumbing Parts

Back