Overflow Question

Fireplug

Reefing newb
Can I use a siphon for an overflow? Make it out of pvc and siphon water down to a tank under the cabinet. This will go to an algae scrubber. Any thoughts?

I don't see why it wouldn't work. As long as it is clear so you can see when the air gets into it, I would think you'll be fine.

I'd drill a small hole just below the water line that way if the power goes out and your pump is off it won't overflow the container.

I may be wrong, but wouldn't you have issues if the power would go out? If your power cuts off, the siphon will break on your scrubber drain. Then power comes back on and your sump pumps all the remaining water from the sump to your tank, possibly overflowing it and/or burning up your sump.

I bought an overflow box with a partition in it. It never breaks siphon even when power goes down. I would have built one myself after seeing the simplicity of the design. You might be able to build one with some acrylic and glue.

I may be wrong, but wouldn't you have issues if the power would go out? If your power cuts off, the siphon will break on your scrubber drain. Then power comes back on and your sump pumps all the remaining water from the sump to your tank, possibly overflowing it and/or burning up your sump.

I bought an overflow box with a partition in it. It never breaks siphon even when power goes down. I would have built one myself after seeing the simplicity of the design. You might be able to build one with some acrylic and glue.

If you run an auto shut off on it, then it wouldn't be a problem.

you can easily build an overflow with acrylic and weld-on. follow the basic design from Melevs reef and you will have one that remains primed in the event of a power failure. I have attached a picture of what it looks like when done. (yes i finally figured out how to attach a pic)

Attachments

• overflow.jpg
    overflow.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 195
Last edited:
+1 Nemo. I dont think the exact design (needs to be bigger or another 1 inch bulkhead) of my overflow as pictured above will work well for a scrubber for a 55. My flow based on experience is a little on the low side i think.

Not trying to hijack this just my :twocents:

Back