overflows?

joeyv

Reefing newb
what do the overflows do? are they the same as prefilters just a differnet name? how many do i need in a 150g tank?

A over flow sucks water form the tank and and through plubing it goes to the sump. How many depends on how much water you want to pump. If your going to drill I would do two 1-1/2 inch holes, if your use a HOB overflow I would go with a 1200 GPH one.

An overflow brings water to the sump/fuge/wet-dry by gravity.If you don't have the tank already get one that has them built in.All 150gal. I've seen has 2 overflows,one on each end.

no i havent bought a tank yet, but one of the companies i was looking at to get one from asked me how many overflows i would want. they come with one already built but they can add more. i just didnt know if i would only need one or more?

One is fine...ask the company what the max GPH the overflows can handle.I would shoot for 1200gph or more.For a six foot tank,I still prefer 2 overflows on opposite ends,maybe 2 600gph or higher.

I think I would want 2 overflows on a 72 inch tank my self.That way crude dont have to travel from one side to the other before its picked up.

I would go with two 1-1/2 inch and a good 1200 GPH pump. With those holes you can also go with a small pump if you wanted to.

You want two overflows. check out my photogallery. you can see the position of them. you can also have them in the corners. let the aquarium company set it up with their standard kits so your piping will connect without problems. you will need to size your return pump so as not to fill faster than the drain. a float switch connected to the pump could handle this problem, but by putting a valve on the return and adjusting them equal you can also manage it. Many ways to set it up, but, definitely two overflows. ask the manufacturer for an overflow kit that goes inside the overflows to return water and preclude the slup slup or perverbial water fall sound. you will need one kit for each over flow. hope this helps.

Back