Oxygen in Tank

WWS

Reefing newb
Sorry for all the questions.

How do I know if there is enough oxygen in the tank? Does my filter return and power head (without the air valve and tubing connected) provide enough Air in the tank? What do you use to provide oxygen?

Usually the filter,skimmer and powerhead should provide enough O2.Good surface agitation and algae provides O2 also.Check your fish for rapid breathing,they may hang out near the surface when there isn't enough .

As long as you have enogh flow to kinda break the surface of the water,you should alright on dissolved oxygen levels.

Yeah Like they said. Lots of surface breaks. I heard not to use air stone in salt water. So if someone else knows for sure, I'm sure they'll say. ;)

Or you could hook your tank up to high flow oxygen @ 15 lpm via a non rebreather mask or a BVM if ventalations are not adequate. One breath every 5 secounds is ideal or 12-20 breaths a minute.

Yeah Mator is right, airstones are worthless in saltwater tanks. They may do well in freshwater, but in salt they get clogged very quickly.

And I don't know what the hell Hawks just said, but I guess it's some of his crazy EMT talk going on... ;)

for aerating the tank the best stuff is the skimmer..it removes bio waiste and oxigenates the tank...a skimmer is a must in all systems..

to assist in oxygenation of your tank, you should have powerheads sitting toward to top of the tank, creating agitation on the top of the water. That should be sufficient to get all the O2 you need in your tank.

-Dr Marco :sfish:

Wow Biff, you have to one up everything, huh? Just can't let me have the last word, huh. Damn, girl, where do you come up with this stuff? Do you hang around reading "random fish stuff" books? I am impressed with all your tank knowledge, I must admit, tho, I feel inferior to your marine knowledge. Must be all that biology training making me feel like :pooh:. LOL

-Dr Marco :sfish:

Yeah I know about science stuff. Because I'm a scientist :). But a happy tank does not a happy Biff make. There are more important things to be smart about. You know that, Doc!

Back