P.h??????

kyle

Reefing newb
what makes P.h go up???? alklandiy to low, to much air in the tank. mines at 8.8 and im on the way to the store to getta buffer

lighting is a huge factor if you tested you PH right after 9 hours of lighting 8.8 isnt to bad. On my tank I have .5 Ph in the morning its 7.8 inthe evening its 8.3. Ide just keep my eye on it and make sure it doesnt go any higher. If it does do a water change. Then try the buffer if that doesnt lower it.Be careful with buffer everytime I use it my corals let me know that there pissed .

lol i just got back for the LFS and i brougt some sample water in to do a test and they siad it was fine i tested again when i got home wit 2 differant kits and 1 still said it was high the guy at the store said to bring in the test kit and he will give me a new 1

but thank i nevre new that lite had such a impact on Ph

Yep,Light has a lot to do with your PH.

Its also a good idea to have your LFS test your water.I take a sample in at least once a month,sometimes twice.Reason being,test kits can and do go bad.

Unless your lfs is next door, you will not get an accurate pH reading on your water. As soon as it's taken from the tank the pH will start to change because it's being airated diffently than it was in the tank. o2 and co2 play a major part in ph.
If you want to lower your pH, add about 1 1/8 cup of baking soda to a gallon of RO water and dose that about 1/4 cup at a time and monitor your pH.

Too much of any additives can lead to changes in pH and other water parameters. Your best bet is to not add anything that unless A) you can test for it, or B) you know for sure you are deficient in. Synthetic salt that we make our water with contains a good mix of trace elements that our animals need, so many additives are unnecessary if you are doing regular water changes.

I have read that there is a saturation point with additives that starts to effect p. h. is that true? if so, what additives and how does that work?
I'm not very familiar with all the additives that are available now. Most are a waste of $ IMO. I have only ever dosed 3 things in my tank.
1- baked baking soda -Arm&Hammer (baking it removes excess co2 and will slightly raise ph when dosed as opposed to non baked which will lower pH slightly) for alkalinity
2- calcium chloride -DowFlake ice melt (no affect on ph) for calcium
3- magnesium sulfate/magnesium chloride - Epsom salt/MagFlake (no affect on pH) for magnesium.

You can reach a saturation point with alk/calcium and you will know it when your tank starts snowing. The alk/calcium levels can get too high and they precipitate out of solution. This event can also reek havoc on pH.
This is exactly why you should never dose anything uless you are testing for it.

Back