paint?

Dusty44

Reefing newb
What type of paint should I use on the outside back glass? I will be painting mine black. Also what is normally used gloss, semi, or flat finish?

thanks, Dusty

Hi im A paint rep for PPG/Porter. I'd love to answer your question. If your looking for the best durablitity, an oil enamel wouold be the best option. It has a higher sheen to wipe off and dries to a harder film. On the other hand it takes longer to dry and emits more VOC's. Latex would work, but would eventually burnish and wear off after wiping it. Either way a shinier paint would be better. Also it dries faster and emits low to no VOC's.

Spray paint works to, but either way it won't stick very well. Also, spray paint does not provide as high of a film build.

It doesn't matter how shiny it is, you're going to be looking at it through a pane of glass.

Spray paint is the best -- if you use a roller or brush you risk leaving streaks. Spray paint is cheap and easy and sticks well.

A black shower curtain works pretty good too.But you dont get high from applying it like do paint.:mrgreen:

It was alway funny when junkies would come into the store with gold paint on there face asking for a gallon of Tolulene. One time a skanky man wanted to buy a drum of MEK. Guess what he was making.

It doesn't matter how shiny it is, you're going to be looking at it through a pane of glass.

Spray paint is the best -- if you use a roller or brush you risk leaving streaks. Spray paint is cheap and easy and sticks well.

+1 Bifferwine
gloss, satin, or flat it doesn't matter...... it will all have the same appearance from the front of the tank.... I have always used spray paint to paint the back...... durability isn't really an issue since we aren't wiping down the back of our tanks every day. just make sure the glass is clean and dry...... use multiple light coats vs a couple heavy one's....... it will turn out better..... but even if you get runs in the paint...... you'll never see them from the front

Oh yeah. We couldnt sell it to him. If we sold it in that quanities we had to file a report with the DEA so they could monitor the use. You can spot them a mile away.

I dont remember what I bought, but it was a small can of black paint. I used a brush and after two coats it turned out great.

DSC00319.jpg

Back