painting the back of a tank

ZOOT098

Reefing newb
thinking about painting the back of my tank

any particular type of paint???

application by roller ok??

any thoughts on the stick on blue or black backrounds available at the LFS

Don't know anything about the paint but I used the stick on black for mine. It was a real pain, I actually ripped the first one trying to get it on right and had to buy a new one. The second one went a little better but still not easy. I got a couple little air bubbles but nothing you can really see. It does look pretty good. I would probably do it again if I ever get another tank.

I would have to disagree about the stick on being a "pain in the butt". I used the stick on for all of the tanks I have had over time and it is very easy to do. Just get a spray bottle and mix water and dish soap and spray the back of the tank and the sticky part of the material and use a credit card to wipe out the bubbles. Then use a box knife or something like that to cut to fit and then use the credit card for bubble removal once more. After 24 hrs or so you are good to go.

It takes maybe 5-10 minutes to do.

The stick on background works fine.You do have to apply it as if it was window tint like Iraqveteran mentioned.If you don't get the bubbles out it will stand out like a sore thumb.I use Krylon flat black paint.Dries quicker than glossy and looks the same when viewing anyways.

I am partial to flat black barbeque grill paint. I had some on hand once and used it, and it dried super fast plus left almost no lap marks.

I used a roller- with fish in the tank and all- Roll away- but I must admit I have black carpet in my office so I wasn't really aware how much I dropped!!! Don't tell my wife

thanks for all the suggestions

i ended up using a roller, very thick nap which left some lighter and darker effects, giving it a pretty cool look

i went with a dark blue from the disney paint collection which has awesome colors, it turned out great

so now that the tank is ready for plumbing i feel like i should start my own tank thread so my fellow newbies can follow the progress

thanks again all

Back