Pairing Up Firefish?

Sir Alex

Dragon the eel (below)
How hard is it to get firefish to pair up? Can you just get two and they'll start going around together? And do they do better in numbers than alone?

I have two firefish in my 36g and they get along fine with each other. When I got them the LFS had quite a few in the tank and I said to get me any two. I also have a pair of Blue Gudgeon (also of the Dartfish family) in another tank and they hang out together too. I personally believe that Firefish/Dartfish feel more comfortable with at least a pair. My firefish are out in the open all the time, but my blue gudgeons like to hide together in a hole in the rocks and only venture out every so often.

If you're wanting a pair, it's best to get them together. Mine seemed really happy together, but then a couple days later one went missing and has never come back. I don't think he jumped, but I suppose he could have and my dog could have disposed of his remains before I noticed. Lily has been fine on her own since then, so they don't HAVE to be in a pair. Lily seems to enjoy swimming around with Neo the Midas Blenny, except during food time. Then she backs off a bit since he's such an enthusiastic eater. She still gets plenty; she just waits for the smaller bits he misses in his rush to get the big ones.

Back