Parameter check....

messiah023

Reefing newb
Hi guys,

Just check the parameters and wanted some feedback. My PH is pretty low and I wanted to know what you all thought I should look for.

PH : 7.8
Ammonia : 0.00
Nitrite : 0.00
Nitrate : 20 (it's always this high, I am waiting for my skimmer to arrive)
Phosphate : 0.75
Salinity : 1.025

I took the readings 30 minutes BEFORE lights out.
Today was a feeding day.

Any thoughts?

7.8 is not so low... IMO, but could because you measured at night(respiration). Measure again during the daytime to see if you're closer to 8.2. Here's a great article-http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-09/rhf/index.php

Thanks for the article.
I checked my dKh and it was 10.
This is OK.

I noticed my calcium levels had dropped since the last 20% water change, so I added some liquid calcium & strontium (as I didn't add it with the water change).

Let's see....

Phosphate levels of 0.75 are very high. Normal seawater, I think, is around 0.03 and mine are usually around there as well. Try to get a cheap phosphate/carbon reactor and lower that number. Your new skimmer should help with the nitrates. Your dkh may be a little high, do you dose? What is your calcium? Also, your pH is low, especially when your lights have been on the whole day. My pH has about a .2 swing, from 8.2 during the day and 8.0 during the night, a pH of 7.8 either means something is not right in the tank or that something is not right in the test kit. What is your reading in the night? If you are consistent at around 7.8, it isn't a big deal as 8.0 is still considered normal. But consistency is the big if in all this.

Thanks for the article.
I checked my dKh and it was 10.
This is OK.

I noticed my calcium levels had dropped since the last 20% water change, so I added some liquid calcium & strontium (as I didn't add it with the water change).

Let's see....
It is hard to run a good pH and a high calcium both unless you really know what you are doing. If you have a high alkalinity and can not raise your low pH it is possible that you have an ionic imbalance. Calcium preparations with calcium chloride often cause ionic imbalances. Water changes should take care of that. You say the water change lowered your calcium levels. What are you trying to maintain for a calcium level? You really do not need anything above 325 or 350, if even that high, when you are not growing stoney corals. Leaving your calcium and alkalinity levels alone when keeping just fish and soft corals is usually the best way to go.

Back