peacock mantis shrimp!!!!!

pheasant29

Reefing newb
Our lfs store had a mantis shrimp in today. He was about 4 inches long and awesome. I was talking to the guy and he then showed me one about two inches long. Both were beautiful. I just cant help thinking about setting up one of those pico or deco tanks for that little guy. How cool would that be!!!

They're very cool, if you're running a refug you can just throw him in there, that's what I'm doing

DO IT.:D
But they need a little more than a Pico.Set him up something like a 10 or 20gal.Mantis are IMO right up there with octopus on the cool meter.

+1 Yote. You can pick up a 10g tank from wal-mart for about $10 as opposed to a pico/deco which will set you back considerably more

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BV9z5e1r2KM&feature=related]YouTube - Holding a huge mantis shrimp[/ame]

you could always make freinds with your mantis shrimp :D

There is no way in HELL I would ever do that! All it takes is one time for that mantis to be annoyed, and that would would be lucky to only walk away with a missing finger

I'm thinking that Mantis must have been sick or something. Maybe it didn't have the energy to strike him. It just wasn't normal looking to me on the active side. :dunno: Just seemed odd to me, that's all.

I have been thinking of doing a 10 gal with a peacock too. Is there a risk of the mantis breaking the glass or is that only if it is threatened?

that mantis was probably shedding and hence blind. so they become docile. and they won't break the glass in a 10th gallon. there smart so they only attack something that will hurt them or they want to eat

As many people point out, a large mantis' strike does have the force of a .22 bullet being shot but the amount of weight behind that force is very insignificiant. So the rumors of them breaking glass and taking fingers are really just...well, rumors.

A very large one may be able to break the glass of a 10 gallon but a 16" mantis doesn't really belong in a 10g to begin with.

DO IT.:D
But they need a little more than a Pico.Set him up something like a 10 or 20gal.Mantis are IMO right up there with octopus on the cool meter.

My sister in law sure doesnt think octos are cool. It would climb out of the SW tank across the room to the FW tank, and eat some fish then go back!

Back