Peacock mantis shrimp

Maybe while he is small, but about a year ago I woke up at 4:30 am to the sound of shrimp like rapid fire hitting the side of our biocube 32 so I went and got a turbo snail from our larger aquarium and I thought I solves the problem and went back to bed. About an hour later my girlfriend woke me up in a panic and there was water gushing out of the side of the tank and in a panic I just grabbed this Rubbermaid laundry tote and to try to catch the water and I temporarily put him in there and he ended up dying I'm not sure if there was laundry soap or something I don't know but I was completely devastated I was so attached to that shrimp I had had them for a few years and they just have so much character and you get attached to him over time. I would hate for you to make the same mistake that I did. Even though the guy at my local aquarium store warn me that he could absolutely break the BioCube I had planned on upsizing when he got bigger and just procrastinated and said I'll do it later and so long story short absolutely they can break bio cubes without a problem and in my case my little friend lost his life over that so take it for what it's worth but hopefully you didn't decide to go with it and if you did and you see this you might want to switch it up because they get strong quick. That's my two cents and my experience on it I hope it could help you

13 years later lol! I’ve had multiple mantis’s by now and the information you shared has already been gained. I appreciate you taking time out and sharing your experience tho. Every tank I’ve put on in I’ve lined the bottom of the tank with acrylic before I’ve put anything in the tank. Just my rule of thumb. This goes for any and all mantis. Size in this matter doesn’t matter. Small ones can do damage over time is not right away.

Attachments

• IMG_0650.jpeg
    IMG_0650.jpeg
    214.6 KB · Views: 40
Back