Pearlscale Butterfly FUNK!

Peoplepc3

Reefing newb
So my Pearlscale Butterfly is a busy busy fish. He swims all over and is about the most active fish in my 155 gallon tank. I have had him (it) for about 4 weeks now and I am noticing a small area on his left side that looks like it has been rubbed raw. Hes not bleeding and its not really a horrible sight . It just looks like the scales in that area have been rubbed by something rough and the area appears slightly swollen. There is also a small area close to his tail that is the same way. It's left side is perfect.

Like I said, he swims in and out of the 140lbs of lace rock, playing with my Chromis (they are best friends and go EVERYWHERE together). I was thinking it was just from rubbing against the rocks. Sound possible?

He eats fine....plays....swims all over.....and doesn't at all act sick. I only have 4 small fish (Clown, BG Chromis, tiny black white damsel and the butterfly...he is the largest) and no invert's....yet. I have never seen them fight or compete for space. They all seem to get along well.

My water is changed religiously. I never let any ammonia build and I never let the Nitrates get above 5ppm. (with only 4 fish, this is pretty easy).

All other fish are really healthy and show no similar symptoms.

I would love to take a pic to post but he will not sit still....he's too busy!

Ideas?? Something to worry about??

Well, scratching against rocks is never a sign of a healthy fish (do you scratch for no reason?). But if he's eating otherwise, I would leave him alone.

Back