pepermints-n-polyps

fishbait

I found Nemo
my tank is nearlly 11 months old now and I have avoided getting aiptasia until the last couple weeks:grumble: there are probaly a dozen smalls ones that have popped up on two different rocks. I hate using chemicals in my tank, so I was thinking of going the natural route and getting a peppermint shrimp. but my concerns are will they eat polyps too? I have a rock covered with little yellow polyps and I would not like them to get eaten. will the peps only go after aiptasia anemones? or all small anemones game for them?

Some people say they've eaten their polyps. Or that they 'confuse' things that look like aiptasia. I've always had peps in my tank, and have never witnessed them eating polyps. It's up to you. They can be hit or miss.

Its possible,those yellow polyps are nothing but colonial anemones.I think they will go after aiptasias first.When they hungry enough after all the aips are gone then look out.

I know you don't like chemicals, but Joe's Juice is really the best. Just shut off powerheads and return pump for about 2 minutes while you treat so it doesn't blow onto something you like. One treatment and BAM - gone.

-Dr Marco :sfish:

I may break down and try that stuff doc. I don't want to risk loosing the stuff I want to get rid of the stuff I don't. plus, I don't wan't to risk a peppermint fighting with my cleaner shrimp cause he's my buddy. I feed him by hand from time to time.

I am acclimating a peppermint as we speak, they do a great job of eating aiptasia's. When all the aipatasia's are gone, pull him out. They are inexpensive.

I never had a problem with my peps bothering anything.
Mine do have a habit of stealing feed from my BTA though.

well, I broke down today and got two peppermints! we will see how it goes. by the way I meant to get just one. but, lfs just received his shipment today and was about to aclimate everything. when I asked for a peppermint he handed me a bag out of the shipping box and said here 'ya go. I didn't realize there were two of them in there until I got home and stuck the bag in the tank to acclimate. gotta love those twofer deals!

Back