pH and nitrate

reefnoob

Reefing newb
So I'm having some problems with the numbers. My pH is low, only 7.8. Should I buy something that can raise it up, or is it fine the way it is? And my nitrates are extremely high. They are at 100. Should I buy something to lower it down? I'm very concerned about the numbers, especially for the nitrate.

7.8 is within normal range. I would not add anything. If you are measuring it in the morning (or shortly after the lights come on), then 7.8 is a really common reading, as pH fluctuates throughout the day.

Nitrates at 100 is very high, but the best way to lower them is water changes with RODI water. There are nitrate sponges on the market, but they don't work well and if they do work, they take weeks to months. And that's not addressing your problem. Try to figure out why your nitrates are so high -- are you using tap water? Do you overfeed? Are you overstocked? How often do you do water changes?

I'm pretty sure I don't overfeed, and right now i only have 2 clownfish, 2 peppermint shrimp, and 2 hermit crabs in my tank. So I'm pretty sure its not overstocking. I just tested the water that I use for my tank before adding salt in, and its 0 for nitrates. I don't know if water changes are the issue, but it could be. I change 10 gallons every 2 weeks.

Step up your water changes and see if that helps lower nitrates

You really should be doing 10-20% a week. 10 gallons bi weekly is only 5% a week. You aren't taking enough water out of the system to remove nitrates

Water changes are the best way to get your your levels straight . And speaking from my experience in fw chemicals to lower nitrates and ammonia don't do anything butt prolong your problems. Fix the root cause don't dose w/ unnecessary expensive chemicals.

Back